How to test if a number system is weighted or unweighted except by memorizing?

oslon

Joined Oct 18, 2023
Out of binary, octal, BCD and gray code, which is unweighted? The simple google search tells BCD.
But how do I test it? I mean I want to write a program for it in python/js/c etc. How will I proceed?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Out of binary, octal, BCD and gray code, which is unweighted? The simple google search tells BCD.
But how do I test it? I mean I want to write a program for it in python/js/c etc. How will I proceed?
Don't always believe what a "simple google search" yields.

Wouldn't a better idea be to learn what it means for a number system to be weighted?

Furthermore, would you need to know this before you would have much hope of being able to write a program "for it", whatever "for it" means?

So -- what does it mean for a number system to be weighted?

Based on that, how would YOU classify each of the four number systems you mentioned?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
AFAIK I'm asking that question
You are the one who said that you think that BCD is a weighted system.

Since you haven't said what YOU think constitutes a weighted number system, I have no way of knowing whether your thinking is right or wrong.

This is YOUR homework. We will not simply spoon feed you answers because that will not help you learn the material.

So you need to show your best effort and we will help you fix the flaws in your reasoning and guide you toward the right answer.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I am not forcing anyone to help me as I'm learning as a hobby.
And I'm not going to force you to try to learn something the way that I believe, and that decades of research has shown, will help you the most.

So since you won't even try to describe what your thought process is that is leading you to a wrong conclusion so that I can help you correct it, I will let you be.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Why're yo so bothered lol? You don't need to help me.
I'm not bothered at all. You came looking for help and I have been trying to help you learn. You don't want the kind of help I am trying to provide. That's fine -- there is nothing that says you have to, but it's a waste of both of our time to try under those conditions. So hopefully you can find someone that is more willing to spoon feed you information that is on literally hundreds (probably hundreds of thousands) of web pages even though none of that has allowed you to actually learn the concepts. So someone stating the concepts to you yet again is unlikely to change things. If you want me to help you understand why your thinking led you to a wrong conclusion, I am more than willing to do so, but I can't do that if I don't know what your thinking was that led you to that wrong conclusion so that I can help you overcome that specific hurdle. I don't know what that hurdle is for you, specificially, and I'm not going to guess.

oslon

Joined Oct 18, 2023
I don't need any spoon feeding or anything. Good thing is that I completed my engineering few years ago already and I'm a bit rusty on digital fundamentals. Got myself a book by Floyd. You're just assuming I'm in school, trying to complete assignment by asking in allaboutcircuits and trying to have fun with me. lol.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't need any spoon feeding or anything. Good thing is that I completed my engineering few years ago already and I'm a bit rusty on digital fundamentals. Got myself a book by Floyd. You're just assuming I'm in school, trying to complete assignment by asking in allaboutcircuits and trying to have fun with me. lol.
Nope. Not trying to have fun with you. Am willing to spend my time trying to help you learn something that you indicated you wanted to learn. But not willing to keep responding to you when you clearly aren't willing to even answer a simple question so that I can try to help you learn that something. So you are on your own and I am unwatching this thread. Good luck.