How to test hall sensors on linear actuators

dotdeveloper

Joined Feb 24, 2021
I have two linear actuators and a control module. The actuators have 2 pole reversable power leads and a 3 wire hall sensor assembly on the back of the motor.

Either the control module is the problem or the hall sensor on one of the actuators is the problem. Unfortunately, Im not sure how to test these sensors to narrow it down.

Honestly, I was hoping for leaf switches. I have very little grasp of electronics beyond building a timing circuit here and there. Im at a loss as to how the hall sensor is providing positional information and my best guess is that is just indicating stop and go.

Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me on this? I can provide photos if needed.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Regarding the actuator that doesn't work, it should be possible to check the Hall Effect sensor, to see if it has an output signal. The sensor should have two power leads, maybe +5 volts DC, and a ground, and then one signal lead that will pulse high when a magnetic field is close enough.
1614202426314.png

The image here may be helpful. An oscilloscope will show the output pulse, as the motor rotates the magnetic disk. Another possibility is to connect a volt meter between the signal pin and ground, and observe the change in voltage as the motor is slowly rotated manually. ... Expect a 5 volt amplitude on the output signal, depending on the input voltage.
... You would have to be careful not to short any of the sensor pins while testing.