How to test diode Surge non repetitive forward current in simulation

mohan.n2293

Joined Jan 23, 2017
Hi All,
i'm trying to measure Surge non repetitive forward current of diode SCS215AJ .
I have used the attached circuit and pulse width (sinusoidal)given in the datasheet .
but i'm not able match with the graph given in datasheet.
actually i'm trying to design a test bench for diode in order test diode to match with its datasheet value.
please check Fig.9 Surge non-repetitive forward current vs. Pulse width (Sinusoidal waveform))

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I believe that fig. 9 in the datasheet is a maximum rating, not a value you can measure.
For instance if the pulse width is 1ms then the maximum pulse current is just over 90A.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A maximum rating is a value you should not exceed, and is determined by the manufacturers knowledge of the device, and likely some tests to destruction to determine the failure limits.

You can bench test a diode at its maximum surge current rating to see that it meets that rating, but that does not determine what the maximum values is.
The only limit you could measure would be the surge current to destruction, but that is likely well above the maximum rating.

mohan.n2293

Joined Jan 23, 2017
A maximum rating is a value you should not exceed, and is determined by the manufacturers knowledge of the device, and likely some tests to destruction to determine the failure limits.

You can bench test a diode at its maximum surge current rating to see that it meets that rating, but that does not determine what the maximum values is.
The only limit you could measure would be the surge current to destruction, but that is likely well above the maximum rating.

SO YOU MEAN WE CANNOT REPRODUCE THIS SURGE CONDITION IN SIMULATIONS.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Perhaps the "sinusoidal" waveform referenced is one cycle of a "haversine". Can any power diode experts weigh in on the pulse shape and details of this spec?