How to test a Radar detector

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Yesterday, I picked up a Radar detector, and it came with the 12V AC cigarette lighter plug.

I plugged it in, and by all appearances, it seems to work.
The light comes on, the sensativity adjustment works, and the needle moves.
When turning it on, it makes a few squeeks and squeels, and then settles down as though it is in a scanning mode.

How can I bench test it?

I don't want to go speeding through town after town to see if it really works.
I'm not a Type A person anymore.

Thanks,
Gary

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Haha, well you don't have to be speeding for a police radar to set off your detector. Does your town use those little radar trailers? They set them in place where folks tend to drive too fast and it shows drivers how fast they're going without having to tie up a cop in his cruiser. If you could find one you'd have your test.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You will also pick up automatic door openers at drugstores, churches, hospitals.
The radar at one airport sets mine off. Fortunately it is aimed up so it doesn't pollute much area at ground level.

MikeA

Joined Jan 20, 2013
The radar at one airport sets mine off. Fortunately it is aimed up so it doesn't pollute much area at ground level.
Is it radar or just an active infrared sensor? Back in the day (90's) I had a detector that went off everywhere. I don't remember the band that was triggered. In residential areas. Maybe motion detection solutions back then were active?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Is it radar or just an active infrared sensor? Back in the day (90's) I had a detector that went off everywhere. I don't remember the band that was triggered. In residential areas. Maybe motion detection solutions back then were active?
As far as I know, the radar detector in my car does not detect infrared radiation and airports do not use infrared radar.

MikeA

Joined Jan 20, 2013
What technology are "automatic door openers" then? :D

I was under the impression that infra-red is one of the key bands "anti-radars" pick up. One of the most popular radar gun technologies used by cops is an infra-red laser as far as I know.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
For the curious at heart this is a good read on the subject. Being super new to this forum I don't want to manage to break a rule on day one. :)
Police radar uses a variety of microwave bands, additionally beyond microwave frequencies there is also the newer LASER versions. It's not unusual for a radar detector to get excited around airports and remember airports use both air and ground radar.

Ron

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
We occassionally have one of those trailers on Main Street.
I'll keep the device handy and give it a test.
Thanks,
Gary

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Interesting.

What should I expect to see / hear from the Radar detecter?

Thnaks,
I would think nothing. The microwave ovens I am familiar with operate around 2.4 GHz. That is well below where police radar runs. However, home computer wireless routers (Wireless B) run around 2.4 GHz also. Anyway, a well made microwave oven should not leak any RF Radiation. The frequencies of police radar (other than LASER) are covered in the link I posted. A good radar detector will not false trigger, it should be selective and sensitive.

Ron

Joined Nov 30, 2010
a well made microwave oven should not leak any RF Radiation.
It's always a matter of how much attenuation you can achieve. Once upon a time, I checked Amana Radar Ranges for leakage. Best name brand in the business, and there was always detectable leakage within 4 inches of the corners of the door gaskets. We're talking about, "acceptable limits" here.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
It's always a matter of how much attenuation you can achieve. Once upon a time, I checked Amana Radar Ranges for leakage. Best name brand in the business, and there was always detectable leakage within 4 inches of the corners of the door gaskets. We're talking about, "acceptable limits" here.
I agree, acceptable limits is what it is. There will always be some leakage. How did you test them? Years ago we would cut the leads off a NE2 lamp, tape it to an ice cream stick or drinking straw and run it around the door seals. A severe leak would also ionize the gas in a fluorescent tube, a small one. Now I may be wrong and since you have worked with these things you may know but early microwave ovens I think were 900 MHz before what I believe they are today which is 2.4 GHz?

Ron

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sooo long...
Amana issued a factory standard leakage probe, but I don't even remember the range it measured, neither the frequency or the amount of power it was labeled for.

SteveSh

Joined Nov 5, 2019
I have a Beltronics, not sure of the model number. It goes off at a number of places on a regular basis, because of uwave door openers. It will also go off if near another radar detector at times. In that case it's probably picking up stray leakage from the other detector's local oscillator (LO).

The initial squeaks & beeps are the detector running its self tests when it powers up. Mine does the same thing.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Most of European lands if the road police will cach anyone using a radar detector it may lead to sure imprizonment and probably a vehicle confiscation. It is crime even harder than drunk driving, sir!