How to tell transistors apart?

Tezmyster

Joined Jun 1, 2005
Sorry if this is a pretty novice question, but how can I tell by looking at a transistor whether it is PNP or NPN?

The only real difference I can see physically between the transistors I have is the on some the legs go straight down, on others the outside legs bend outwards before going down. Not sure if this makes any difference though.

Many thanks.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Originally posted by Tezmyster@Jun 1 2005, 07:39 AM
Sorry if this is a pretty novice question, but how can I tell by looking at a transistor whether it is PNP or NPN?

The only real difference I can see physically between the transistors I have is the on some the legs go straight down, on others the outside legs bend outwards before going down. Not sure if this makes any difference though.

Many thanks.
[post=8114]Quoted post[/post]​

You'll need to look up the part number. The package is just a package. It might not even be a transistor!

If it is a transistor, then you can use an ohmmeter to check the junctions.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

device package can deceive the uninitiated to electronic devices. a TO92 package represents to many different devices it can be a transistor, a diode, a regulator or a temperature sensor.

tell us the device part #, where is that device used (what equipment) and we'll try to figure it out. :D :p :lol:

Tezmyster

Joined Jun 1, 2005
Thanks for the advice guys (and sorry the late reply) but I decided since I'm not really needing to look specifically at transistors but rather small scale circuits I picked up one of those training lab kits where the component connectors are just springs and you can quickly put down and pull apart circuits. Since I'm only really learning I figured it's the best way to start.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I wish you success! There is a whole universe of fun stuff awaiting once you've mastered the basics!

After becomming confident with your kit, I encourage formal training. Your local community college can be dandy for introductory classes.

pinball8

Joined Jun 12, 2005
Originally posted by Tezmyster@Jun 13 2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the advice guys (and sorry the late reply) but I decided since I'm not really needing to look specifically at transistors but rather small scale circuits I picked up one of those training lab kits where the component connectors are just springs and you can quickly put down and pull apart circuits. Since I'm only really learning I figured it's the best way to start.
[post=8464]Quoted post[/post]​
I was curious once about electronics and that led to an electronics engeering degree. I have a voltage controlled oscillater on both voyager probes. I have oscillators on many military aircraft. I have an oscillator still on the moon that is handmade by me. Oscillators are not my only expertise. If I had not been curious about electronics someone else would have designed and built these circuits. Go to school and learn. I started learning with vacuum tubes. You have a bigger advantage than I had. Go for it. GET FORMAL TRANING!!!.