How to take simple measurement with Oscilloscope

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes, it outputs a square wave. You can use it to adjust the little screw in your probe so that the square wave looks square, i.e. no overshoot or undershoot.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
When you use a 10x probe, there is an RC network in it to decrease the loading in the circuit under test. To eliminate the capacitive reactance which will distort the waveform, the capacitor is a variable one.

Your scope came with a little plastic shafted screwdriver. This is to adjust the variable cap through a small hole in the probe. To do this, make sure the probe is set to 10x using the small switch on it. Then, connect it to the calibrator on the front of the scope. This will be a small ring terminal. Clip the probe ground to the ground lug next to it.

Then, use the auto setup function of the scope to get the waveform properly displayed. You will see a square wave with some distortion. Adjust the capacitor until the square wave is as close to square as it will get. Your probe is now compensated and will properly display waveforms.

Your scope’s manual will certainly spell out this procedure.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
i have connected the probe but i don't see the square waveform. I am attaching the screenshot of DSO with prob
I can't be sure because some of the text on the screen is too blurry for me, but it looks like your amplitude setting might be 10 mV/div, which is way too sensitive for the compensation waveform, which looks like it is 2 V (or 3 V, can't tell for sure) at 1 kHz.

Your time base also appears to be set for 50 ns/div. Looks like your screen has 12 divisions, so the entire display represents only 600 ns. Each half of the compensation waveform lasts for 500 ms.

You are probably also not triggering. Press the AUTO on the RUN control. If I'm guessing correctly, that will put it in auto-trigger, which will force a trigger event if one is not seen (you might also need to use the Force button in the trigger section. I'm not familiar with Rigol scopes.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
Press the AUTO button.
Press REF button to turn REF off.
maybe i didn't press the auto button that's why the waveform was not showing on the screen.

I don't have DSO right now so I can't test. I'll do it here when I available.

it looks like your amplitude setting might be 10 mV/div, which is way too sensitive for the compensation waveform, which looks like it is 2 V (or 3 V, can't tell for sure) at 1 kHz.
Do I have to set the amplitude settings on the 3V ?

Your time base also appears to be set for 50 ns/div. Looks like your screen has 12 divisions, so the entire display represents only 600 ns. Each half of the compensation waveform lasts for 500 ms.
How many divisions should I keep?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Once you get the scope to trigger properly, experiment with VOLT/DIV and TIME/DIV to become familiar with how to select both settings for appropriate viewing.

Probably the best thing is seeing someone use it in front of you, and what is better than a video? I found this one as a sterter and it looks good to me:
Probably the scope is not the same you have, but controls are generally the same and in the same position.
Hope this helps
Ciao
A.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
Once you get the scope to trigger properly, experiment with VOLT/DIV and TIME/DIV to become familiar with how to select both settings for appropriate viewing.
In a digital storage oscilloscope (DSO),
VOLT/DIV stands for Volts per Division, and This setting determines how many volts are displayed per vertical division on the screen. For example, if VOLT/DIV is set to 1V/div, then each vertical division on the screen represents one volt.

TIME/DIV stands for Time per Division, and This setting determines how much time is displayed per horizontal division on the screen. For example, if TIME/DIV is set to 1ms/div, then each horizontal division on the screen represents one millisecond.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In a digital storage oscilloscope (DSO),
VOLT/DIV stands for Volts per Division, and This setting determines how many volts are displayed per vertical division on the screen. For example, if VOLT/DIV is set to 1V/div, then each vertical division on the screen represents one volt.

TIME/DIV stands for Time per Division, and This setting determines how much time is displayed per horizontal division on the screen. For example, if TIME/DIV is set to 1ms/div, then each horizontal division on the screen represents one millisecond.
Thanks. We all know that.
Now it is up to you to select the setting that is most appropriate for the signal you are viewing.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do I have to set the amplitude settings on the 3V ?
How many divisions should I keep?
You can either do the math, or you can use trial and error.

If the amplitude is 3 V and your screen is eight divisions tall, then the most sensitive setting you can possibly use and still keep the entire vertical expanse on the screen is 3 V / 8 divisions or 375 mV/div. The nearest setting that is less sensitive than this that most scopes have is 0.5 V/div. So that's a good starting place. Or, you could just turn it to the least sensitive setting and then use the vertical position adjustment to move it to the center and then increase the sensitivity until you get what you want (possibly readjusting the vertical position if the waveform starts moving off the screen).

The same approach works for the time. Let's say that you want two complete periods of the waveform on the screen. That's 2 ms for a 1 kHz waveform. It looks like you have twelve divisions, so that's 2 ms / 12 div or 166 µs/div. So start with 200 µs/div and go from there. Or just set it to a very insensitive setting, center the waveform with the horizontal position knob, and progressively increase the sensitivity until you get something you like.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi @Kittu20
On many Scope probes, there is a small hole, inside is a small 'screw' object which allows the user to trim the probe performance.
If you can find that screw hole, carefully rotate the screw, with a small screwdriver, while watching the scope screen, trim for a flat top on the square wave.
E