How to store sampled data at same ADC frequency?

Nathan Lima

Joined Aug 3, 2017
Hi,

I am studying signal processing. On this matter, there exists signals at 10kH (audio signals), but there exists signals on the 1GHz frequency. Suppose I want to acquire and process this high frequency band signals (1GHz signals). Suppose also I have an analogical to digital converter (ADC) operating at this 1GHz rate (i.e. the ADC is a 1 giga samples per second). I will need a microprocessor in order to digital processing the samples signal, and so my doubt occur at this point: there is not available at the market a >1GHz clock micrcontroller or FPGA.

So, althougth it is possible to have a 1GSPS ADC, how could I buffer to the memory these sampled data at the same ADC frequency, in order to have a set of data sampled at 1GHz?

In other words, is it possible and is it the best practice, to have an ADC synchronously connected to a kind of memory (it could not be a DDR memory since DDR is 333MHz) both and so sampling and on-line storing in the memory data at 1GHz?

Hope I could be clear explaining my doubt.

Thank you!

Nathan.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
One possible answer is to have 16 separate ADC/Memory subsystems. Each one doing a sample every 8 nanoseconds. That is two samples every nanosecond which is what Shannon's theorem demands for sampling a 1GHz. signal. To process the signals, you just access the memory subsystems in the proper order.

Another possible answer is to down convert the signal to a more manageable range. In the process you extract the modulation and discard the carrier. Then sample the lower frequency signal.

Nathan Lima

Joined Aug 3, 2017
Hi,

For an 8-bit converter that would require storage of 1 gbyte/s or 1 Tbyte for every 16.6 seconds of data. :eek:
I don't think that is what you want to do.
I agree with your opinion in the sense that it is an uncommon transfer rate of course. Nevertheless, I think DDR3 actually may be adequate to store these amount of data at this frequency. Am I mistaking? If you could please take a look at this reference:

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

One possible answer is to have 16 separate ADC/Memory subsystems. Each one doing a sample every 8 nanoseconds. That is two samples every nanosecond which is what Shannon's theorem demands for sampling a 1GHz. signal. To process the signals, you just access the memory subsystems in the proper order.
I hope this kind of solution could work. It have a lot of advantages. Do you have noticed about anyone who implemented something like this?
If you intentionally undersample, you are essentially "down-converting", by sampling in a higher Nyquist zone, 3rd zone for example.

Why oversample when undersampling can do the job?

Ok, reading!

Bye.

Last edited:

Nathan Lima

Joined Aug 3, 2017
Hello,

When posing links to the wiki, please use the english version of the page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

For dynamic ram, you will need a controller, that does the refresh of the ram.

Bertus
I'm sorry for the mistake on the correct language, I did not payed attention to the Portuguese refference since I am in an english language forum. I am trying to fix it, but it is appearing an alert that the content is SPAM?! (picture bellow)

Thanks for replying.
upload_2017-8-4_12-45-58.png