How to solve current through the circuit if the diode is in reverse bias?

pawlow

Joined Apr 23, 2019
What other information were you given? Looks like you have some extra current.
i have tried to simulate that circuit in orcad PSpice and that what appear, i put a value in the resistor and voltage source and i think the value for threshold volt. for the diode is 0.7v and that's the simulation came out, my question is since the other diode is in reversed bias and it act like a open circuit definitely no current will flow but unfortunately there is a current i think leakage current and i dont know how it came out. thank you

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok....I am not familiar with simulators. They preform math functions, not electronic functions. Stick around, there are simulator experts on the site.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
like this picture below the current 14.11nA, how to solve that? thank you all!

View attachment 175607
Hi,

You have to have the model that was used in the text. Models vary a little here and there, so it is best to get the model they used if you expect to get the same results.

For a model i have of a 1N4001 diode i would get a different value. Keep in mind that the current is in reverse to what it normally is too as well as the voltage. For negative bias voltages less than around -0.2v the diode current goes way down to approximately -Is, so the leakage resistance might dominate there.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A leakage current of 14nanoAmps is reasonable for D6. If you can increase the number of decimal places used to show measurements, then the current through the battery etc should read 9.862014mA.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
A leakage current of 14nanoAmps is reasonable for D6. If you can increase the number of decimal places used to show measurements, then the current through the battery etc should read 9.862014mA.
Hi,

Yeah i guess it is within reason. One of the models i have shows a 10Megohm resistor for the leakage, which in this case would lead to 69na which is a bit higher.