How to simultaneously drive 4 BLDC motors with variable speed?

guyfromafar

Joined Oct 9, 2013
Hi Guys,

my first time here and knows basic about motors. How can I simultaneously drive 4 BLDC motors with 3 different RPMs? max is 1.1A @ 7500 rpm, 48vdc input each. thanks. :)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Insufficient information!:(

What/how are they being driven both command signal and drive type.
Is closed loop required?
Is this a design from scratch scheme?
Motor plate details/specs?
Max.

guyfromafar

Joined Oct 9, 2013
Hi Maxheadroom,

all i have now is just an idea. I am thinking to burn in (cum speed test) 4 motors using a single driver that automatically switches input voltage (to change speed) at a defined time.

ex: 15mins - x rpm => 15mins - y rpm => 2hrs - z rpm

my motor is capable of 8500rpm min.
idea eff speed is 7500rpm
steady current draw is <1.1A at 7500rpm
max current draw is <4A at 8500rpm
shaft total runout is <0.001"
hall sensor output
totally enclosed, non-ventilated
electonic commutation, molded hall sensor
wound stator with exposed laminations
rare earth magnets on the rotor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As I see it trying to control 4 motors with one drive will be near impossible, especially with what sounds like BLDC type which are electronically comutated by the drive.
Max.

guyfromafar

Joined Oct 9, 2013
Hi Max, how about 1 driver for 3 bldc motors at single speed? how would this design look like? just trying to understand what are the limitations. thanks.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Apart from the Hall sensor output and two main inputs for the 48V supply, does the motor have an input intended for a speed control signal?

Edit: Can you post a link to the motor?

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Does the motor have a plate indicating the wiring connections? Wiring colours? Can you post a pic of the motor?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally BLDC motors each have three Hall sensors for commutation, if you want off the shelf drives that can be controlled independently open loop (velocity control) there is A-M-C, Copley Controls, Aerotech to name a few.
These use ±10vdc to control rpm.
Max.