How to set the PGC/PGD on the Microchip curiosity board?

Khisraw

Joined Nov 14, 2020
I am trying to run a simple program on PIC12F1571 on Curiosity DM164137. But I keep getting this error.

"The target device is not ready for debugging. Please check your configuration bit settings and program the device before proceeding. The most common causes for this failure are oscillator and/or PGC/PGD settings"

Any idea how to fix this?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Be sure you have specified all of the CONFIG bits for the chip - use the MPLABX 'Memory Views -> Configuration Bits' dialog to set them and copy/paste the resulting source code to your program source.
Start with the internal oscillator and be sure LVP (low voltage programming) is enabled in the config bits.
Build the code for debugging from the MPLABX toolbar using Clean and Build for Debugging to find any errors then launch the debugger from the MPLABX toolbar to build, program and start the execution.
Set a breakpoint near the start of the code to verify that it is running and has run to that point.
Be sure the USB port will supply enough power to the Curiosity board. Connect directly to the PC or use a powered hub.
Good luck!

Khisraw

Joined Nov 14, 2020
Be sure you have specified all of the CONFIG bits for the chip - use the MPLABX 'Memory Views -> Configuration Bits' dialog to set them and copy/paste the resulting source code to your program source.
Start with the internal oscillator and be sure LVP (low voltage programming) is enabled in the config bits.
Build the code for debugging from the MPLABX toolbar using Clean and Build for Debugging to find any errors then launch the debugger from the MPLABX toolbar to build, program and start the execution.
Set a breakpoint near the start of the code to verify that it is running and has run to that point.
Be sure the USB port will supply enough power to the Curiosity board. Connect directly to the PC or use a powered hub.
Good luck!
Thank you very much, it was very helpful. I found the problem was with the internal CLK setting. I was under the assumption that it is out of the box solution but it is not. You can set all these settings yourself.