how to set battery full potentiometer in 24V UPS

skilkhan

Joined Nov 8, 2011
can some tell me how to set battery full potentiometer in 24V UPS located on PCB of UPS,
and where to place my multimeter, while setting it,
tnx in advance

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
that info will have to be from the manufacturer, there are too many different ups's and they have no standard for test points or settings.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If it uses standard Sealed Lead Acid batteries (most do), then read the voltage directly across the battery terminals. After the batteries are fully-charged (the ups has been plugged in for more than 24Hours without a power-failure), the battery terminal float voltage should be 27.20V +-0.1V at room temperature. If it is radically different, you need to investigate why.

Be advised that most UPS manufactures tend to set the battery float voltage too high (maybe to sell you new batteries?). A too-high setting will end dry out the electrolyte, greatly shortening their life.

skilkhan

Joined Nov 8, 2011
thx mikeML for ur rapid response,

I m using 2 car batteries 12V in series,
UPS is charging for more than 3 days without power failure,
now i will off my UPS and will check batteries voltage (to be 27.20), when batteries temp will reach at that of room.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
thx mikeML for ur rapid response,

I m using 2 car batteries 12V in series,
UPS is charging for more than 3 days without power failure,
now i will off my UPS and will check batteries voltage (to be 27.20), when batteries temp will reach at that of room.
No. Do not disturb the UPS; leave it ON! Measure the float voltage with the UPS powered.

If the car batteries are the flooded type (not SLA), then the float voltage should be lower; more like 26.60V.