how to repair a hair dryer

perija21

Joined Sep 22, 2021
Hello there; I need to run a hair dryer that broke, and I don't have the electrical circuit, to check its parts and repair it.
It is an OSTER,
MODEL HD120
125VAC 60Hz 1500W
Thanks

perija21

Joined Sep 22, 2021
Hi AlbertHall.
I have 2 types of hair dryer, to be fixed; the simplest, the switch was damaged. As I had never disassembled a hair dryer, and also had already taken it to a technician, I am not sure if it is "original", or they added something to it.
For now, since I cannot replace the switch with another one, I am going to remove it and connect it to make it work "straight" by plugging it into the power outlet.
I have not done this process yet, and see if it works.
I inform you of the result.
The other 2 are of the type that have a box in the socket and a "push-button" on / off system. I removed this system from both devices and connected them directly to the mains, but neither worked.
This is where I have the difficulty because I do not know how it works and what role this circuit plays.
I understand that it is a circuit that operates a solenoid and also has a "toroid", but I don't know how that works.
I would appreciate any help or guidance from you.
Thanks.
Aaron Mendez

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For the first problem, you can replace a bad power switch with an in-line switch that is installed on the power cord.
Make sure that you get one that can handle the maximum current of the appliance.

1632437460493.png