How to Remodel Your Home

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Don't forget about the "jump in front of the car...then blow some innocent's house up" trick.

Happens all the time...
Wait a minute.... I don't know that one. I need a hands on demonstration! :cool:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
As I have stated before, my son in law is a Metro officer in Las Vegas. I have witnessed first hand how the media spins the data to make the police look bad. It is not interesting to make the bad guys look bad.

GUYS!!! stop being duped by the new media trying to make a story bigger than what it is. They know what spins you up so they press those buttons. STOP GIVING IN TO CRAP JOURNALISM!!!! You are spreading crap when you say, "here is the whole story" and you post a link to a newspaper story. IT IS A STORY for Christ sake, not the facts. It is not the actual police report, it is a story made up by an under paid reporter who has the ethics of a crack addict.

A video of a cop shooting a 12 year old kid is one thing. A story made up by a reporter is another. Please, learn to tell the difference.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
As I have stated before, my son in law is a Metro officer in Las Vegas. I have witnessed first hand how the media spins the data to make the police look bad. It is not interesting to make the bad guys look bad.

GUYS!!! stop being duped by the new media trying to make a story bigger than what it is. They know what spins you up so they press those buttons. STOP GIVING IN TO CRAP JOURNALISM!!!!
That has been my whole point all along.

You are spreading crap when you say, "here is the whole story" and you post a link to a newspaper story.
In my first post, I wrote: "At least read the full story before drawing a conclusion." Yes...I composed badly. I did not mean to imply that the article linked to was in fact the whole story, but that it gave a different perspective counter to the original article from an advocacy website, thus filling in some details.

IT IS A STORY for Christ sake, not the facts. It is not the actual police report...
It is not, except when it is! As I indicated, the actual Affidavit of Probable Cause for Arrest Warrant, is linked to the article. Since you are too lazy to either read what I wrote, or follow the flow of bits to where I intended them to lead you, it is probably a waste of my time to provide you yet another link to the report.

...it is a story made up by an under paid reporter who has the ethics of a crack addict.

A video of a cop shooting a 12 year old kid is one thing. A story made up by a reporter is another. Please, learn to tell the difference.
#12 is the one who thinks the police report is fiction and the advocacy article fact, not me.

And for the record, I also don't believe a single video is the "full story".

Joined Nov 30, 2010
#12 is the one who thinks the police report is fiction and the advocacy article fact, not me.
Please do not try to speak for me. Your mind reading abilities are below average today.

I believe video of the home owner calling the police, "thugs" was real.
I believe the second day story was fiction ala Spin City.
I believe demolishing a house to find one person, armed or not, is unnecessary, and I hope it does not become the norm to bulldoze any house which contains a person who refuses to surrender quickly enough. In fact, I hope it does not become the norm to bulldoze houses that don't contain any person or which are the wrong address.

I have dealt with police reports and, "journalists". Both of them were false.
Imagine this: A peeping Tom, a police arrival. Sergent Cupcake finds the villain, right after I tell the police how to instruct their dog. ("Follow the scent of these unusual flowers in that direction".) The police report says the bad guy, "gained entrance through an unlocked gate". The fact of the matter is, Sneaky McPeep walked through the space where I had torn down about 200 feet of fence in the process of replacing it, and there was no gate. Right. Try presenting the gate as evidence in court!

I don't feel a need to describe journalists because Lestraveled did a good job of that in post #22.

In summary, joeyd, interpreting my beliefs exactly backwards and trying to bait me with trolling tactics is what I call, "mistaken".

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have witnessed first hand how the media spins the data to make the police look bad.
It's very fashionable now to bash the police. The relatively new phenomenon of having video makes it so much more attractive to those that make money by drawing eyeballs. It's rare - at least it used to be - for us to see evidence of bad cop behavior. It's shocking to a degree, and therefore "news". An episode of Cops is just not as compelling and inflammatory anymore - we expect bad behavior from the public.

• Cops interact with the public all day, every day. That's their job.
• A fraction of those interactions are handled badly, whether by good cops having a bad moment, or cops with a pattern of misbehavior.
• There continues to be a rapid rise of video availability, and the easy and rapid dissemination of this video.
• There will be more publicized events this year than last, and more next year than this year. The trend will continue until it doesn't draw eyeballs anymore.
• Humans judge the frequency of events as being in proportion to the stories they see reporting the events. You can whip up fervor against any activity by simply reporting more articles about that activity. If ALL the local car accidents were reported with the same intensity as these cop exposés, we would think there was a huge problem with auto safety.​

Considering these facts, is the news reporting thrown at us actionable? Can we make any judgement over whether there is a broad problem with police effectiveness and professionalism? Is there a trend we need to reverse?

I would argue that, no, we cannot make such a judgement. For all we know, police behavior may be rapidly improving as the new technology keeps them on their toes. Just seeing more failures doesn't mean there are more failures. We're seeing more crap on TV and online, but it doesn't mean anything.

What's most troubling is that the theme of bad cops is supported at the highest levels of both the media and the administration. (Is there any gap between these anymore?) Our President has publicly advocated a federal police force to replace local control. This endless parade of "incidents" that bash local police will continue as a means to that end.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What's most troubling is that the theme of bad cops is supported at the highest levels of both the media and the administration. (Is there any gap between these anymore?) Our President has publicly advocated a federal police force to replace local control. This endless parade of "incidents" that bash local police will continue as a means to that end.
Personally, I applaud bringing attention to the misbehavior that has gone without repercussion for as long as there have been police officers, but I do not wish to see the local putzes replaced with Federal Gestapo in every patrol car. (Visions of traffic tickets being prosecuted as terrorist acts.)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, the hard part is controlling the reaction to seeing to the misbehavior. It's soooo easy to accept the argument of bringing in some higher authority to fix things. That's been the trend in recent years - let the feds fix everything. It's a false hope. The problem is ultimately you and me, who we vote for and what we allow the local bureaucrats to do. WE are the ones that get what we pay for. The solution to a local problem needs to stay local, except in the rarest of cases.