How to project a series voltage regulator.

RaiRodrigues

Joined Jun 25, 2018
Hi guys, im a begginer in eletronics and i'm having difficulties with my first school project. If anyone coul help me please!
I have to find the values of the resistances in a series regulator with overcurrent protection. The circuit is this, if anyone could help me would really save me! i have to calculate values for differents V(in), so it would be best if anyone could point me the direction in a more generic way. Thanks!Sem título.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Rail,
Welcome to AAC.
As it is a Homework assignment, we expect you to post your attempt at solving the problem.
We can then help you thru it.
E

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Walk through the circuit and annotate the voltage on as many nodes as possible. The start looking for constraints on the currents in as many paths as possible.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Ah! My first variable power supply was that circuit, but minus the over current protection.
Welcome RaiRodrigues.
Start by trying to figure out the zener current needed so then you can find R4 for the input volts.
Show us some attempts and then we can help. Actually, it will most likley be others as it is after 2AM here and I should be asleep ;)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi guys, im a begginer in eletronics and i'm having difficulties with my first school project. If anyone coul help me please!
I have to find the values of the resistances in a series regulator with overcurrent protection. The circuit is this, if anyone could help me would really save me! i have to calculate values for differents V(in), so it would be best if anyone could point me the direction in a more generic way. Thanks!View attachment 155049

Hello there and welcome,

Quick questions:
Do you know how transistors turn on and/or off?
In other words, what makes transistors turn on or off.
Have you worked with simpler transistor circuits before this, like say with only one transistor and some resistors?