how to measure dc current through device

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Just because the 5V power supply is rated for 2Amp does not mean the device it is connected to will draw 2Amps.
The mobile fone as Ron says will only draw a few mA's from the PSU when the mobile battery is near to being fully charged.
E
Further info:
Assume the mobile battery is fully discharged, it may draw close to 2Amps for a few minutes while the battery is being recharged.
As the battery charged level lincreases the charging current will slowly fall.[ this what you are now measuring ie: mA's]

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
hi,
Just because the 5V power supply is rated for 2Amp does not mean the device it is connected to will draw 2Amps.
The mobile fone as Ron says will only draw a few mA's from the PSU when the mobile battery is near to being fully charged.
E
Can I connect my laptop in same way as load
if adopter 19V at 3.4 A any guess how much current laptop draw

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
You can do that BUT.
Make sure the Laptop is powered Off.
Connect the Laptop input as the mobile is now connected.
Make sure the polarity of your connects are correct.

The amount of current drawn will depend upon the what the laptop is doing eg: DVD running higher current etc.
[set the meter to to 2Amp or higher range]

Do NOT disconnect the power supply from the Laptop while it is powered ON and running
In theory, the laptop should not give a problem if you do disconnect, but lets be sure.:rolleyes:

E

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Can I connect my laptop in same way as load
if adopter 19V at 3.4 A any guess how much current laptop draw
What you really need here is decent loads and not guessing and trying things. Got any light bulbs, regular incandescent light bulbs? Also, one more time it's an adapter not an adopter.

Ron