How to make an alarm using microwave motion sensor?

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
I want to make an alarm which uses microwave motion sensor, this sensor also has a IR sensor. Here is the link to the product: Quick Sense Plastic 360 Degree Sq Type Microwave Motion Sensor with Light Sensor (White) : Amazon.in: Home Improvement

I want it to set off a siren or similar alarm when it senses motion, I don't actually know how to do it because I never seen it in real life. It has dialers to set the sensitivity of the microwave, IR, etc and a power input and output, I don't actually see an aperture for the sensor, does anyone here have experience with this type of thing?

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That's an occupancy sensor for lighting control. The light sensor is for visible light, not IR. The radar doesn't need an aperture, it goes right though the plastic. It's not designed for alarm use. It switched a lighting load directly.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Not directly. The item in post #1 can only switch something powered directly off the AC line. To control that siren, the sensor would have to switch on and off a 12 V power supply, with the siren conneced to the supply's output.

No. Again, this is made to switch the AC line, not a DC-powered device.

What are usually used for alarm using motion sensors?
Things designed specifically for security use. There are tons of them on ebay, but most of them are designed to be wired into an existing alarm control panel. What power source(s) do you have available to power the sensor and alarm?

Also, the items you linked are waaaaaay expensive.

ak

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
Not directly. The item in post #1 can only switch something powered directly off the AC line. To control that siren, the sensor would have to switch on and off a 12 V power supply, with the siren conneced to the supply's output.

No. Again, this is made to switch the AC line, not a DC-powered device.

Things designed specifically for security use. There are tons of them on ebay, but most of them are designed to be wired into an existing alarm control panel. What power source(s) do you have available to power the sensor and alarm?

Also, the items you linked are waaaaaay expensive.

ak
Are you viewing the price of items shipped to your location? Because they are Amazon India links and in India, there is customs tax on imported things, that could explain your surprise of price.

I have regular power source, the ones you have from power outlet.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I would suggest NOT buying the product from amazon because the only information you will get about it is what you see in the listing. There is no product support at all.
I own a couple of sensors that use both microwave and passive IR detection, and they are powered by 12 or 24 volts DC, depending on the connection. They provide a single contact closure when triggered. So for an alarm application they need an external alarm control arrangement, which can be as simple as a single latching relay and a suitable battery.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I would suggest NOT buying the product from amazon because the only information you will get about it is what you see in the listing. There is no product support at all.
I own a couple of sensors that use both microwave and passive IR detection, and they are powered by 12 or 24 volts DC, depending on the connection. They provide a single contact closure when triggered. So for an alarm application they need an external alarm control arrangement, which can be as simple as a single latching relay and a suitable battery.
I don't understand how the device the OP points to would need a latching relay - that would completely defeat the 8-second to 12-minute adjustable delay. If you are talking about some gadget that you purchase, I don't know why you confuse the OPs thread with a different device. Click the link provided - it is a consumer product.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I don't understand how the device the OP points to would need a latching relay - that would completely defeat the 8-second to 12-minute adjustable delay. If you are talking about some gadget that you purchase, I don't know why you confuse the OPs thread with a different device. Click the link provided - it is a consumer product.
The TS clearly states that the purpose is for an alarm, and the device shown is an occupancy sensor package. Those are rather different applications, and that would seem to matter somewhat. The device that I mentioned is intended for an alarm system, which is what the TS asked about in post #1.
And I am not suggesting "some gadget", but rather that a device intended for use in an alarm system is the better choice for use in an alarm system than a device intended for lighting control.
AND, as for confusion, how much assistance do you think is available from Amazon?? Less than none is the common amount of assistance.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
How do you people suggest I achieve this objective? I don't think alarm systems are sold on Amazon India.
It sounds like what you want / need is just a simple PIR (Passive Infra Red) motion sensor. Something like this just as an example and available through Amazon. My read on the linked sensor is it will handle a 5.0 amp load and anything between 5 - 24 VDC power. Long as the output voltage and 5.0 amp current will drive your siren that should be all you need. I know nothing about value added taxes or any taxes as they apply to India.
About 17 USD is about 1,291.7179 Indian Rupees

1 USD = 75.9834 INR
1 INR = 0.0131608 USD

The linked units are priced at 3 units. They allow setting a delay for active time and once triggered a delay to remain on.

• Adjustable Delay Time: please set it to the minimum value first, and then try to find out the value of your sensitivity and light sensor, which will save you time; Delay time controls how long the light stays on after being triggered, and the delay time is 15 to 360 seconds, which can be set by yourself; If the motion is detected, the delay time will be reset and another delay time will start
Anyway my best guess is all you need is the linked item or similar to it.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The motion sensors that I have used for "security lights" mostly have three times: very short for testing( about 15 seconds on for each trigger event, then about 1/4 hour per trigger, and then about 2 hours per trigger event.
Even just 15minutes with an effective siren sounding will get old very quickly. But it might be effective.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
If you are so inclined, you can build a crude alarm system for fairly low cost. A network of infrared beams paired with sonar modules can cover a large area. Interference and false triggering can somewhat be eliminated with clever coding techniques via a microcontroller such as Arduino. Advantages include low cost, easily accessible parts, modular design and support from online communities such as AAC.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One more thing is that if the price translates to $6.50 USD then consider that packages with the similar functionality sell for over $100 here in the US. (ref post #6) At least they did when I looked at them a couple of years back. So I am wondering about the quality of something that cheap.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
One more thing is that if the price translates to $6.50 USD then consider that packages with the similar functionality sell for over $100 here in the US. (ref post #6) At least they did when I looked at them a couple of years back. So I am wondering about the quality of something that cheap.
I'll let you know after I use it.