How to make a wiper intermittent

blusun

Joined Dec 13, 2007
Hi.

The rear wiper on my Toyota Yaris is continuous (not sure why this is necessary). I would like to see if I could make it intermittent, presumamby by placing a 12V relay in line. Would you have any suggestions for finding such a device or any better recommendations?

Thanks and best regards.

Rob
Haskins, OH USA

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Not sure if this is something you want to get into building... But saw one using an ATTiny13 MCU. My rear wiper is intermittent already, but pretty sure it isn't suppose to be (sometimes it works, some times just a few times...).

http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=172&Itemid=57

Wiper delay circuits have been around for a while. I remember seeing one in Radio-Electronics back in the 70's. Should probably do a google search and see what comes up. That way you can pick one the suits your needs, skills, and budget.

cheddy

Joined Oct 19, 2007
The rear wiper on my Toyota Yaris is continuous (not sure why this is necessary).
My best guess is it is a safety feature so an inexperienced driver won't put it on the intermittent setting during a rain drizzle then forget to turn it on the continuous setting when it begins to rain harder.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We used to use a 2N2646 relaxation oscillator and a relay to make wipers intermittent. I've got a Honda Fit that picks up a lot of crud on the back window - I could use an intermittent function, too.