How to make 15kDCV low current power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfreewill

Joined Mar 8, 2023
These batteries can deliver tens of amperes. If the circuit pumps that up from 3.7 V to 15 kV, then it could deliver in excess of 10 mA if it is being limited by the battery. This is well into the vicinity of dangerous shock territory and not far from the range of lethality. Depending on the details of how the circuit behaves when connected to a relatively low-impedance path (like a person), it might well put out considerably more current than this.

So the shock hazards associated with what you are trying to do can't be ignored. If you aren't willing to consider them and do what is necessary to ensure that, under no conditions, can it deliver harmful currents to a human, then you really should walk away from the project. The good news is that taking the steps needed to ensure this probably aren't too onerous, it's just that they can't be ignored, whether it be due to carelessness, ignorance, or neglect.
Absolutely. That's why I asking y'all. I've got ideas of what to do - are they sensible ideas? Are they safe?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If you read my original post - all of it, not just bits to pounce on, you will see that I suggested a circuit that isn't lethal and asked how to limit its output to 1/20th of the current and change it to DC. Obviously, I'm not trying to hurt anyone. I posted the application. Does that help? Will you now try to help me and answer my questions? Or you just want to keep up the constant barrage of personal comments - 'You', 'you', 'you', sixteen in this post - and how ignorant I am. Its not about me, but a circuit.
No, it isn’t enough. as I explained. The additional information helps a great deal both to make a lot of information available (implicitly) concerning the requirements for the power supply and that it isn’t one of the prohibited topics.

The post was about you. If you spend enough time here you’ll find that the pattern of “just answer my question, don’t ask questions about it that I don’t want to answer” is a red flag. You said you are not an expert, you are here for our collective expertise, but somehow we are supposed to ignore our experience and use your naive attempt to define requirements? This is highly exacerbated by the potential lethality of the device in question.

I happen to have experience with powder coating, a client of mine was a manufacturer of industrial powder coating equipment—one of the first to use cyclonic collection. If you had started with “I am trying to build a power supply for powder coating...” the whole thing would have been a lot easier. Starting with “you don’t need to know what I am doing, just help me with a potentially dangerous project and don’t ask any questions about what I plan to do with it” was exactly the opposite of what would have made this a lot smoother.

There was no intention to personally insult you and if that was the effect I apologize. Please do understand that we have seen thousands of people come and go and the patterns become familiar. It doesn’t mean things can’t go differently just that it is likely to follow the same course.

That I was not willing to take your word for the safety of the device is not unreasonable given everything you’ve written. I’ll leave you to whatever you manage to work out. Unless something else crops up, the concerns about dangerous or prohibited topics are dealt with.

In any case, I hope you find some assistance with your problem, and I do apologize for apparently insulting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.