How to know what salary to ask for

jaydnul

Joined Apr 2, 2015
In some places I find the entry level salary for an electronics engineer (including the salaries for the particular company I'm looking at) as 90k-115k, which seems way high. Other places tell me the average is 65k. I don't want to be too specific about where I might be working, but what is the most sure way to figure out what salary you should ask for?

I have a bachelor's degree, 2 courses into my masters degree and have <1 year of work experience. It is an entry level position.

Thanks!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It depends on the locatioin -housing costs are a big factor, the company, and how much you are worth on the market. Large companies try to rank their engineers to minimize large skills vs pay disparities and you will be ranked according to your performance, experience, and education. If you can find them, ask people with your level of experience and education about salaries at their respective companies. You can also look for salary surveys and online articles on the subject.

As a last resort (just kidding) you can ask a head hunter working in your field for advice.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
In some places I find the entry level salary for an electronics engineer (including the salaries for the particular company I'm looking at) as 90k-115k, which seems way high. Other places tell me the average is 65k.
As Dick mentioned, it depends on location, company, degree specialization, etc. Even in high cost areas, the geographical differential is sometimes only 5%. Being able to buy a house in a high cost area would require multiple (good) salaries in a household.

In general, no inexperienced BSEE is going to get $100k; it will be closer to $50k.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Does your CV include any published papers in IEEE? How about tutoring underclassmen? How about running labs? Sometimes it's the little things that separates the potential employees. Everything counts towards "experience," well except maybe the time one has claimed the beer drinking contest or other non-ee related contests.

It's a supply and demand scenario. The more the supply, the less they can demand. They can undercut each other.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Before trying to compare salaries.......what do you like about electrical engineering? What's your schtick? There are so many different types of work and sub-fields now............you will have to specialize to start with. You need to find your tickle. Then you can research salary. If you let salary find your tickle.......find a new profession. You need a real interest....to compete.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It depends on the locatioin
True. I knew a guy in California who made $26k as a production line monkey...placing ball bearings in shock absorbers all day. The housing market was so high they laughed me out of the Real Estate office when I offered $10,000 for a down payment.

I moved to Florida, bought a house for $3,000 down, and qualified with the highest test score ever accomplished for a QC/calibration/repair tech at a Mil Spec radio manufacturer...for the same wages as a California production line monkey.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I moved to Florida, bought a house for $3,000 down, and qualified with the highest test score ever accomplished for a QC/calibration/repair tech at a Mil Spec radio manufacturer...for the same wages as a California production line monkey.
Yeah, and your paid no income tax, in addition to the lesser living expenses. It's all relative. In the early 70s, a studio apt in Manhattan was about a grand a month. Your 26k wouldn't last long up there. I lived in a two bedroom apt in a gated community on Coney Island for about 300 per month in the mid 70s.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Comparing salaries around the country is worthless unless you compare everything else. Your 26k in FL was worth more than the 26k in CA. You kept more of the 26k in FL.

Compare the whole picture, not just the selective portions. A six figure salary will go further in FL than in NYC.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Comparing salaries around the country is worthless unless you compare everything else.
I stated the facts. You can justify the differences all you want, but don't aim it at me. I didn't ask because I already know.

I lived that experience. I made the choices. You, as an observer, wish to explain my own personal experience to me. Not necessary. I was there.

Last edited: