How to keep an AC motor stopped after an E-stop is reset?

mk2pierce

Joined Jan 2, 2020
I'm at a ski hill in Wisconsin and our paddle tow was wired weirdly. Currently when one of the emergency stops is pushed the tow immediately restarts as soon as the e-stop is pulled out. I'm looking for something that can be wired in that will trip and require one of us techs to reset instead of it operating how it is. I'm not that good with AC wiring, I'm much more experienced with 12/24 DC. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You require the typical stop/start that has an interlock contact on the motor contactor.
CR N.O. an aux contact on the motor contactor/starter.
Max.

1577991392646.png

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Have you contacted your tow vendor? Altering the wiring could leave you liable in case of an accident. Even if your modification was not directly involved. Insurance companies might deny coverage. :(

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Any mod compared to how it seems to be wired now would be an improvement/safer?
Max.
I agree Max. But it would take either the manufacturer backing your mod, or a lawyer/engineer ($$$) in court proving that it was a safer system because of it...if accident happened involving the tow.

mk2pierce

Joined Jan 2, 2020
I was instructed to make this modification from our inspector, and we're not operating it currently until it gets reinspected with this interrupt installed. This is a bit above my head so I'll be having a licensed electrician do the install. The few calls I've already made I was told our system is antiquated (it is) and was being told it needed a total refit. The inspector said our equipment is perfectly serviceable and 100% safe once this interrupt is added. Now that I know what to ask for and explain when I call will help me a ton. Thank you all!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Generally speaking most contactors have auxiliary contacts on them, if not most offer types that can be added after the fact.
Max.