How to judge the drinkability of water whatever its nature

abouabdelmajid

Joined Aug 20, 2017
I would like to design a system that allows to judge the potability of water after having made a certain number of measurements with the available sensors such as the PH sensor, turbidity, temperature, TDS meter...

after some research I found that there are 8 essetial parameters that once respected their values we can say that the water is 100% drinkable. The settings are:

- pH (PH sensor)
- Turbidity (turbidity sensor)
- Color
- Conductivity
- Total dissolved solids (TDS metre)
- Hardness
- Temperature (temperature sensor)
- chlorine (Redox sensor

So I told myself that we have to get sensors for each parameter and with arduino we will be able to know the good results.

Am I thinking right? I exaggerated at the level of many parameters? do I have to add others or eliminate some of them?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Agree with Albert. Bio-hazards would be top of my list.
How about salinity, heavy metals? Or do those come under TDS?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
If this is for fun then great, if this is for real life then you might be better off with a really good filter, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Personal-Camping-Emergency-Preparedness/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=asc_df_B006QF3TW4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194884170462&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4633480525565962131&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052625&hvtargid=pla-310770782840&psc=1

Unless you intend your idea to be in addition to a filter, to check for things that the filter might not catch.