How to individually control about 100 LED's?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly I did not intend anything critical in my comment about "strange", since much of what I create fits that broad definition. Actually is is just rather demanding in combining all of these in one item. An interesting option would be to implement if all in an LCD setup with led backlights. I have no idea as to the availability of circular LCD color display hardware. It may be a totally new concept.

markg85

Joined Sep 12, 2020
Certainly I did not intend anything critical in my comment about "strange", since much of what I create fits that broad definition. Actually is is just rather demanding in combining all of these in one item. An interesting option would be to implement if all in an LCD setup with led backlights. I have no idea as to the availability of circular LCD color display hardware. It may be a totally new concept.
It would be a 1 pixel circular "display" ;)
Or a one pixel ring display.

Keep in mind that it needs to light up a room with, say, about 2000 lumen at it's max brightness for normal daylight white or warm white.

It's a cool project (pun intended).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
This is certainly an unusual project and unfortunately the control code will be the easy part. And the matrix arrangement that I originally thought of is probably not going to work because of the light levels desired would be a serious challenge with only one LED at a time lit.Hiding the amount of hardware needed to control those LEDs is going to be a huge effort. The good news is that each different kind of LED can be powered with just a control transistor and a series resistor, with a regulated voltage for each color/kind, and it can all be done with surface mount parts. And probably there is already a very small address decoder so that each LED can be addressed individually. But certainly it will be a challenging assembly project.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This is certainly an unusual project and unfortunately the control code will be the easy part.
Old thread alert!

If the code is easy, just buy a nice big, bright LED monitor for the panel. There's no way you could build something better/cheaper. All the hard parts have already been solved. No need to reinvent.