How to increase watts

Milesh

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hi Experts ,

I am beginner in electronics /electricals. I have some doubts

How can i increase watts (ie i have a 230 volt and a 300watts source). Is it possible to increase watts from 300 to 1700 watts or above ?

Please help me in this regard

Best Regards
MJ

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Not really.

Watts = Volts * Amps

You either need to draw much more current, which requires heavier conductors and new components to handle the power everywhere, or increase the voltage to danger levels, where it could jump traces through air gaps.

Simply adding a resistor to draw more current will only result in (hopefully) a blown thermal or current overload fuse, and in the worse case, fire.

What are you trying to increase?

Milesh

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hi,

I am trying to increase amps. I have source which is able to produce 230 volt 300watts ie i can connect only 300 watts pheripherals say i can use 3 bulbs of 100 watts 3*100=300watts. I am intending to connect some more equipments so 300watts wont be enough i want increase it to about 1700 watts or above .all appliances use 230 volts so i cant increase 230volts !! . Can u suggest me a solution ?

Best Regards
MJ

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If it is a generator, buy a larger generator.
If it is an inverter, buy a larger inverter.

One thing you could do is use compact fluorescent bulbs for the same amount of light, but only using about 80 watts for 300 Watts equivalent lumens.

Milesh

Joined Nov 24, 2011
okay i understand that but i have doubt , can a transformer in parallel connection can increase amps if so i will get more watts ?

i mean one step up transformer increasing voltage to 400 after that stepping it down 230 in parellell ? (May be bad idea !! )

Let me know your thoughts

Best Regards
MJ

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
No, if you increase voltage, you reduce current.

If you double the voltage, you'll have about 90% of the wattage you started with, and a little less than half the current. Then when you put it through the step down transformer, again losing about 10%, you will be back to the same voltage, with less current than you started with.

Watts are a constant, they are the measure of energy, and energy cannot be created, only changed in form.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Milesh this is going no place. What are you really trying to do. You have some system what give out 300 Watt. What kind of system is this.

Milesh

Joined Nov 24, 2011
No, if you increase voltage, you reduce current.

If you double the voltage, you'll have about 90% of the wattage you started with, and a little less than half the current. Then when you put it through the step down transformer, again losing about 10%, you will be back to the same voltage, with less current than you started with.

Watts are a constant, they are the measure of energy, and energy cannot be created, only changed in form.

yeah i agree

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In this case I think you must get a bigger hammer. Your generator is rated 300 Watt for a reason. If you try to get more out it. It will most probably break down soon.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Please add your location to your profile.

As you are running 220V, I doubt you are in the US.

Reason I ask is because nearly all generators are good for at least 1000 Watts if they are a mini standalone gas engine variety. While larger portable gensets with both 220V and 110V outputs with a total load capacity of 2-5kW being common here.