How to handle multiple power inputs to IC on schematic design

Tim Fernandez-Hart

Joined Nov 30, 2018
Dear All,

I have no formal electronics training so forgive me if this is a simple question. I'm designing a circuit based on the datasheet of an IC and a reference design I found on the internet. I am having trouble understanding how the power rails are drawn in the reference schematic. One of the power inputs is called IOVDD and it connects to 4 pins on the IC. The datasheet has an example PCB layout and there are decoupling capacitors on each of these pins. However, the reference schematic separates IOVDD and has all the decoupling capacitors in a row next to each other.
How would I label these nets in Eagle or KiCAD so that they all connect together with the capacitors placed correctly?

Tim

referenceSchematic.png datasheetExample.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
How would I label these nets in Eagle or KiCAD so that they all connect together with the capacitors placed correctly?
The schematic only gives connectivity information which you establish by connecting things to the same net.

You decide where to place the caps on the layout. That's when the placement information in the datasheet is used.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In Kicad, any VCC or power common or GND common have to be identified with the symbol PwrFlag. Otherwise you will get an error when you create a netlist.
All pins that originate from the same supply should have the same identifier.
Max.
upload_2018-11-30_10-57-28.png

Tim Fernandez-Hart

Joined Nov 30, 2018
Thanks Dennis.

I've just run through a dummy schematic to try and get a feel for it. My problem is that I keep forgetting to press ratsnest which reroutes some of the airwires pairing up the capacitors with the correct pins if the are close enough.

Once again, thanks for the swift reply. I have been struggling with this all afternoon.

Tim