how to find out current through inductor in DC circuit?

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello
I need help to understand the basic concepts of inductor. Suppose 1h inductor is connected across 10v battery. Inductor is non linear element it change the value of current over the time. How to find out current through inductor?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can use the formula for LR circuits. Use an ohmmeter to find the resistance of your inductor and use that value as R in the formula.

DGElder

Joined Apr 3, 2016
The current will rise linearlly at 10A per second, until the universe explodes. At least that is what would happen if you had ideal inductor and voltage source. Real components have resistance, use the tutorial math. You will need to know the source output resistance and inductor resistance to calculate the current.

Don't try hooking that up, you will pop a fuse or drain your battery.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I have find out the current. Should I have to suppose the time
di/dt means 'the rate of change of current with time'. If you found one (non-zero) value of the current that must have been at one specific time, unless the current had reached a value limited by the resistance of the inductor.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
di/dt means 'the rate of change of current with time'. If you found one (non-zero) value of the current that must have been at one specific time, unless the current had reached a value limited by the resistance of the inductor.
given
V=10v, L=1h, di/dt=10A/s
Voltage drop across the inductor is
v=Ldi/dt
v=1*10=10v
Voltage drop across the 1h inductor is 10 volt
Still the current is unknown

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you can't understand what is being said to you then how can we help? :confused:

The current isn't unknow, you just haven't calculated it.
The current in an inductor continually increases with time after the application of a DC voltage according to (di = Vdt/ L).
This gives the increase in current with time.
To find the current at any point in time you multiple the time by V/L
Thus, in you example, at 5 seconds the current would be 5s * 10A/s = 50A
The maximum current in the inductor after a large period of time is limited by any resistance in the circuit and will settle at a value of V / R.

If you can't understand that, than I don't know what further can be said. :rolleyes:

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Now I can understand and I can find out the energy stored in inductor
E=1/2Li*i
E=0.5*1*50*50
E=1250 joules

Power P=Li*di/dt
P=1*50*10
P=500W
Is this calculation is correct?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Now I can understand and I can find out the energy stored in inductor
E=1/2Li*i
E=0.5*1*50*50
E=1250 joules

Power P=Li*di/dt
P=1*50*10
P=500W
Is this calculation is correct?
That equation is not true when V and i have reached their steady state values. As you know, steady state means nothing is changing, and so di/dt will be zero for all future time and the value of L will be irrelevant, thus:

\(P_L\;=\;i^{2} \times R_L\;=\;\left(\frac{V_L}{R_L} \right) ^2\times R_L\)

Last edited:

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Now I just connected the AC supply across 1h inductor
If the applied voltage is 10v AC with 60Hz signal than I am trying to find out current through inductor
Inductive reactance XL=2*3.14*f*L
XL=2*3.14*60*1
XL=377.11ohms
Now I know the Inductive reactance than I can calculate current through indctor
I=V/XL=10/377.1=0.0265A
I just wanted to know that how can we determine current through the inductor in AC and DC circuit
So again, please check my work and if there is any mistake tell me

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello
I need help to understand the basic concepts of inductor. Suppose 1h inductor is connected across 10v battery. Inductor is non linear element it change the value of current over the time. How to find out current through inductor?
An inductor is NOT non-linear element.

What is your math background like? Have you seen any calculus yet? Do you understand exponentials and logarithms?

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Power in AC circuit
P=i*i*XL
P=0.265*0.265*377.11
P=0.2648w
How to calculate energy in AC circuit

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
An inductor is NOT non-linear element.

What is your math background like? Have you seen any calculus yet? Do you understand exponentials and logarithms?
OK my mistake
Resistor, capacitor and inductor are linear element
Diode transitor are non linear element