How to find LED panel or any led light's rated life time??

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
HELLO ,

Is any buddy know how to find LED panel or any led light's life time using some embedded logic??

some manufacturer are showing there led's rated life time in hour like(>50,000hr) and gives warranty on that..so is that any way to calculate that 50,000 hr by using AVR or some other microcontroller??

here is a sample datasheet of led product
just see in Basic Specification table

www.samsung.com
SAMSUNG.COM

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
HELLO ,

Is any buddy know how to find LED panel or any led light's life time using some embedded logic??

some manufacturer are showing there led's rated life time in hour like(>50,000hr) and gives warranty on that..so is that any way to calculate that 50,000 hr by using AVR or some other microcontroller??

here is a sample datasheet of led product
just see in Basic Specification table

www.samsung.com
SAMSUNG.COM

So, have you calculated just how long 50,000 hours is in terms of years and what you will be doing/worrying about after 50,000 hours have passed?

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
this is like one of the extra feature of led panel or in the terms of product.
i just need to calculate total glowing time of led panel and match with datasheet rated time period ..i am not wary about after 50,000 hr passed.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What do you mean by "calculate" the "total glowing time"?

For many products there is a pretty well established relationship between how hard you overdrive them and how much more quickly they fail. Say, just using made up numbers, that for every 10% increase in current an LED's lifetime is cut in half. If the rated current is 10 mA and you increase that current by a factor of 1.1^10 = 2.59 to a current of 26 mA. You expect it to last about one one-thousandth as long as it would at 10 mA. So you put 26 mA through it and find that, on average, it fails after 100 hours. So you expect them to fail after about 100,000 hours at rated current and so you give yourself a factor of two margin and call it 50,000 hours and guarantee them for that long.

But for YOU to do that kind of testing requires that you have access to a LOT of prior testing data that you almost certainly don't have.

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
What do you mean by "calculate" the "total glowing time"?

For many products there is a pretty well established relationship between how hard you overdrive them and how much more quickly they fail. Say, just using made up numbers, that for every 10% increase in current an LED's lifetime is cut in half. If the rated current is 10 mA and you increase that current by a factor of 1.1^10 = 2.59 to a current of 26 mA. You expect it to last about one one-thousandth as long as it would at 10 mA. So you put 26 mA through it and find that, on average, it fails after 100 hours. So you expect them to fail after about 100,000 hours at rated current and so you give yourself a factor of two margin and call it 50,000 hours and guarantee them for that long.

But for YOU to do that kind of testing requires that you have access to a LOT of prior testing data that you almost certainly don't have.

yes you are right WBahn ...i dont have that much data..
but on the other way i can count total used time period (at who much time led panel is working on)of that led panel appliance.... so that any way to find that ??

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
yes you are right WBahn ...i dont have that much data..
but on the other way i can count total used time period (at who much time led panel is working on)of that led panel appliance.... so that any way to find that ??
Find what? What is "that" that you are trying to find?

Are you trying to predict when a panel is going to fail based on its use history?

If so, forget it. Even if you had the detailed use history of that panel, the failure of it is highly statistical in nature. If you put a thousand such panels together and ran them under identical conditions you would likely see several years difference between when the first one failed and when the last one failed.

What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
'that' that means i want to find total working time period of led panel with some embedded system..i am thinking to count that total time period no in some memory and that no. will disply on LCD as " Total worked time of this product product = 1 days 10 months 1 year"
like this data i wont so show on LCD screen . i don't want compare with any LED light manufacture that may automatically shows on screen .. so problem is how to select proper memory type ic to store that big no. and how to count that no. with certain logic??

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
So you just want to save the "run time" of the LED?
Using a voltage divider, connect the power supply of the LED to a input pin on the micro to start a timer counting ticks until you get to one hours worth, then increment a total in EEPROM. Attached a LCD and you are done.
Note that is the power fails before the write, you will lose a hours worth of "run time". You will need to decide if you can tolerate this. If not, you will need to write to the EEPROM each 60 seconds or have a way to keep the micro running after the power fails.

Not sure for AVR, but for PIC the write endurance of the EEPROM is > 100000. Even if you where using your panel for 24 hours with a once per hour update, and in that case there is no point to this project, it is about 11 years before you may see any issues.

What hardware are you planning on using?

In saying this, are you just trying to make sure the LED will not fail before the 50K life provided by the vendor so you can do a warranty claim? If so, forget about it. I would bet the hardware to count the run time would cost you more then a new LED lamp...
What would you do if it failed at 40K hours? I would doubt the vendor would have any warranty lamps left. Also check the warranty period of the lamp. I bet it will be far less then 50K hours.
By the time it fails a new, better and cheaper lamp will be around anyway.

Last edited:

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
So you just want to save the "run time" of the LED?
Using a voltage divider, connect the power supply of the LED to a input pin on the micro to start a timer counting ticks until you get to one hours worth, then increment a total in EEPROM. Attached a LCD and you are done.
Note that is the power fails before the write, you will lose a hours worth of "run time". You will need to decide if you can tolerate this. If not, you will need to write to the EEPROM each 60 seconds or have a way to keep the micro running after the power fails.

Not sure for AVR, but for PIC the write endurance of the EEPROM is > 100000. Even if you where using your panel for 24 hours with a once per hour update, and in that case there is no point to this project, it is about 11 years before you may see any issues.

What hardware are you planning on using?

In saying this, are you just trying to make sure the LED will not fail before the 50K life provided by the vendor so you can do a warranty claim? If so, forget about it. I would bet the hardware to count the run time would cost you more then a new LED lamp...
What would you do if it failed at 40K hours? I would doubt the vendor would have any warranty lamps left. Also check the warranty period of the lamp. I bet it will be far less then 50K hours.
By the time it fails a new, better and cheaper lamp will be around anyway.
markdem ..thanks for the beautiful solution , using EEPROM is best solution but again problem is that need to save last run time count number somewhere so that we can add old run time count with new count hence will get total number from starting .......

this is like as we see in our car's Meter how much car was traveled from starting...
and you are right i need to think on warranty period and 50K life provided by the vendor .
.but i don't think i can count upto that number but rater that i have my total run time count no..... and i am happy with that only.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
EEPROM is the memory you will be using to store the run time.
MCU counts timer ticks until it has 1 hour - reads the last saved number from EEPROM - adds 1 - saves back to EEPROM.

Why do you think you can't count up to 50k?

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
EEPROM is the memory you will be using to store the run time.
MCU counts timer ticks until it has 1 hour - reads the last saved number from EEPROM - adds 1 - saves back to EEPROM.

Why do you think you can't count up to 50k?
now with this logic it can be count up to to 50k.
what do you think???can it count??

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
superb..now feels good..now start to design this one...will share with you guys as soon as possible....

thanks to all of you..
I'd consider having someone else design it for you. The fact that you didn't know that 50,000 can be stored in just two bytes does not lend a lot of confidence that you are up to the task of either designing the system or writing the code for it.

And you should spend some time really asking if what you are trying to accomplish is worth it. What is the point? What is the problem you are trying to solve? How much will it cost if the problem never gets solved? How much will solving the problem cost?

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
I'd consider having someone else design it for you. The fact that you didn't know that 50,000 can be stored in just two bytes does not lend a lot of confidence that you are up to the task of either designing the system or writing the code for it.

And you should spend some time really asking if what you are trying to accomplish is worth it. What is the point? What is the problem you are trying to solve? How much will it cost if the problem never gets solved? How much will solving the problem cost?
actually that time i don't know much about EEPROM and there interfacing ...so that concept is not come in my mind ...last day i have read lot more About EEPROM and now i can easily do something with it .. BTW thanks for grate the suggestion ..in will show u after completing this ..

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016

Exactly this one is same which i want in digital form in my system..thanks