How To Drive 12V LEDs from a 12V solar panel?

abrogard

Joined Dec 20, 2018
Because the panel will put out as much as 17V it seems.

That'd be too much for the LEDs?

I bought a solar regulator but now I see it wants me to hook up to a big old 12 lead acid battery or something.

I don't want to fuss with all that. Just want to play with leds a bit using this 12v source. What's the easiest way for me to do that - just put a zener diode in there?

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Supply full details of panel and leds for an accurate answer ...

An easy way is to double up the leds so they require 24V ... if self adhesive strip types 2 lengths in series will still be bright on 17V and brightness will rise and fall with sun intensity..

Another way is to match the amount of 12V leds to the panel so no mater how bright the sun it will never deliver more than 12V to the leds .... you don't wan't to drive the leds more than 12V it will shorten their life ..

Last edited:

abrogard

Joined Dec 20, 2018
The panel is a 'Powertech' ZM9093 10W OpI 0.58A, Voc 21.6 Isc 0.64, Vmp 600V

And the leds came in a long roll, 10m long or something , flexible strip, I can cut off any amount I like and use it. I have two 5m strips illluminating my shed.

The only data I have on the packet is DC12V, 30W/m IP20 Double PCB.

I will get some 78M12's and play with them. thanks.

I like the doubling of the leds etc....

p.s. what's the application? Playtime with my little kids.
:)

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
That makes things very easy ... no need for circuitry . just put them directly on the panel .... you just have to find out the best length ...

In strong sun the panel will give 21V at no load ...as you increase the load the voltage will drop and current increase , but the panel cannot deliver more than 10W ...

The strip consumes 30W/meter , so 33cm will be 10 W ... you can safely connect 33cm directly to the panel and the voltage the leds sees will never get above 12V .... light will rise and fall with sun intensity.... this method will give the most light , no circuitry taking power..

The length is not critical as long as it's over 33cm , it will still work with 5 or 10 meters.

This is absolutely the best method ALL the electricity from the panel turns to led light.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
....... In fact it would be better to use a longer strip , it would be less glaring on the eye ... overall you would get more light because many leds would be running at lower voltage , they are more efficient then , and also the % of power wasted by the current limiting resisters in the strip will be less and the strip lasts longer at lower voltage ... longer the better