How to display hd video on lcd

Ashoom

Joined Feb 28, 2018
Hi

I want to display hd video on a lcd , I was thinking I need a microcontroller to turn the video from sd card to the lcd
is this the component I need :
microcontroller - sd card reader - lcd
or I need others and how should I program it .

ps : I don't want to use arduino or raspberry pi

Thank you .

miniwinwm

Joined Feb 2, 2018
What is your experience level, because doing this is significantly challenging? Firstly, to play HD video at its normal frame rate you are going to need a processor with a lot of power and display driving hardware acceleration, for example a STM32F7xx can do video, but probably not HD. Next, there's a large amount of data to source from your SD card, so you need a file system and a SD card interface that uses DMA to get the data throughput rate. You'll need a video codec library too, better to get one than write one. You'll probably need a RTOS or Linux under it all to provide the OS services you need.

You are right to discount an Arduino. It's not nearly powerful enough to do it. You should not discount a RPi though, because 1) it's cheap, 2) it has the processing power to do it & 3) it's basically your only hope unless you are an embedded programmer with many years' experience, which I am guessing you might not be.

Last edited:

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Did you ever see one of them picture frames that changes pictures.
Thats kind of what your after but the uC is to slow to change at a rate that you would call HD.

You need fast uC arm and gpu for video your looking at around $500 to make your own board and I don't no if you would get
a working gpu they kind of hold tab's on them for people that buy in bulk.

Your best bet would be a pi or a BeagleBone Black.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
...or a cheap Android tablet and write an Android app.
Yeppers Hd is hard to do and takes a GPU like on the arm. It could be done at home But you have flow a board cost would be high.
most anything that can send HD to GLCD would be in a 1 ghZ or more range.