How to design an ADC circuit with an external sampled signal?

nadd

Joined Oct 3, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to designing a circuit. So, I need some help.

I need to design an ADC for an external, sampled, single-ended signal. The frequency is 1 Mhz, and desired speed is at least 4msps and the resolution is at least 14 bits.
I checked ADC chips and found LTC2314-14 to use. But, LTC2314-14 has inputs for S/H, and my input signal is already sampled. Would it be a problem? (LTC2314-14 Datasheet: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/609/231414fa-2954440.pdf )

Also, I found ADS1605, this one has differential input, so will I need a single-ended to differential converter? (ADS1605 Datasheet: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ads1605.pdf?ts=1664705456913 )

If there are any different ADC chips that you would recommend, please let me know. (Preferably, easy to solder). Also, which additional components should I use in my design?

Thanks in advance!

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Probably, I chose wrong word. The input signal comes from a sample-hold circuit. Does it has a different name?
Now I see. . . .
Successive approximation A/Ds have a sample and hold built in. It shouldn’t make any difference whether you measure the original signal, or after it has been through the sample-and-hold.
It would be ideal if you triggered the A/D to start its conversion when your S&H is in its “hold” phase, and if the two ran at the same rate.

nadd

Joined Oct 3, 2022
Now I see. . . .
Successive approximation A/Ds have a sample and hold built in. It shouldn’t make any difference whether you measure the original signal, or after it has been through the sample-and-hold.
It would be ideal if you triggered the A/D to start its conversion when your S&H is in its “hold” phase, and if the two ran at the same rate.
Thank you so much. It will help me a lot. I was trying to find an adc that is not S/H built-in.

To run them at the same rate, should I arrange the CLK? Sorry if the question seems too simple.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Thank you so much. It will help me a lot. I was trying to find an adc that is not S/H built-in.

To run them at the same rate, should I arrange the CLK? Sorry if the question seems too simple.
Perhaps.
Some might have a trigger input. SPI types start when they SPI command is issued.