How to conect a DIY CMOS to a Micro Screen?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
According to Google, it's Spanish and translates fine. I agree, this should be an American-ish English language site.

Last edited:

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
According to Google, it's Spanish and translates fine. I agree, this should be an American-ish site.
Hmmm, I'd hate to make any non-Americans feel unwelcome. But I would agree that this is primarily an English language forum and that it would be difficult to work across multiple languages, which is probably what you meant in the first place.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
First, you need to determine what the output format of the image sensor board is. I don't see a datasheet in your link, and the data on the page is sparse. If you knew what the wires marked "DRLUMG" meant, that might help.

The display side is relatively easy - there are a variety of known standards, including the HDMI used by the display you linked. However, without knowing what the image sensor is outputting, there's no way to know if it's possible to interface the two.

Judging from the way you've posed your questions so far, I'm guessing you don't know much more about image sensors than I do... Of course, if I'm wrong, you should share with us everything you know about the image sensor output. That will improve the odds that someone here can give you a clear answer.

Without more information to go on, I'd guess that there isn't a straightforward way to connect these without a microcontroller, and that you should shop for an image sensor with a recognizable output format. (but that's just a guess!)

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
So, I noticed there's a chip on the back of the CMOS camera module, which turned out to be this:
http://www.lofty.com.tw/data/nextchip/NVP2430H_brief.pdf

Unfortunately, the 2431H version that's in the module isn't the version that has digital outputs, only analog. The analog output is described as "1280H for CVBS and COMET, AHD 1.0(720p)" which is all pretty foreign to me. Nevertheless, Googling for an "AHD 720P analog to HDMI converter" yields numerous results that look plausible. So assuming you can figure out which of the pins on the board represent the AHD 720P analog video stream, you can probably run that through an AHD->HDMI converter and hook it up to your display without needing a microcontroller or anything custom.

Based on the parts and datasheets, it looks plausible, but I wouldn't know which connections to make where in order to make it work. Might get it figured out through trial and error, or might be able to identify relevant pins with an oscilloscope, but not really sure. Definitely doesn't feel straightforward to me, although I now suspect it's possible.

alfa015

Joined Oct 8, 2019
So, I noticed there's a chip on the back of the CMOS camera module, which turned out to be this:
http://www.lofty.com.tw/data/nextchip/NVP2430H_brief.pdf

Unfortunately, the 2431H version that's in the module isn't the version that has digital outputs, only analog. The analog output is described as "1280H for CVBS and COMET, AHD 1.0(720p)" which is all pretty foreign to me. Nevertheless, Googling for an "AHD 720P analog to HDMI converter" yields numerous results that look plausible. So assuming you can figure out which of the pins on the board represent the AHD 720P analog video stream, you can probably run that through an AHD->HDMI converter and hook it up to your display without needing a microcontroller or anything custom.

Based on the parts and datasheets, it looks plausible, but I wouldn't know which connections to make where in order to make it work. Might get it figured out through trial and error, or might be able to identify relevant pins with an oscilloscope, but not really sure. Definitely doesn't feel straightforward to me, although I now suspect it's possible.
Thanks! I found this converter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-AV-TO...765989?hash=item283a1e7365:g:nEEAAOSw3YJZXvJh

The converter is 720p and the camera is 960p. Does the resolution of the oled screen has to be at least 720p in order to work?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I really don't know. I'm not even sure the analog camera signal will be 960p. The datasheet I linked above lists it's output as 720p, and searching for information on that chip with 960p only pulls up this one product you've found... which makes me think it's bad info in the product listing (pretty common on Amazon and Ali from what I've heard.)

Either way, it's 1280 wide, but the question is whether you've got 720 or 960 vertical (16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratios.) My *guess* would be that the camera sensor is 1280x960, but the chip driving the output crops it to 1280x720. If that's true (big if!) then you could ignore the 960p specs and just choose a 720p converter.

As for displays, I'd assume that low level systems like this must be matched, but I honestly know very little about video stuff. For all I know HDMI is magical and the display will resize the 720p signal to whatever resolution fits on the display... but I doubt it. If I were in your shoes, I'd make sure to buy products that all have matching resolutions.

I should really stop answering these questions. Honestly, I don't know much about this stuff - these are all just educated guesses.

alfa015

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I really don't know. I'm not even sure the analog camera signal will be 960p. The datasheet I linked above lists it's output as 720p, and searching for information on that chip with 960p only pulls up this one product you've found... which makes me think it's bad info in the product listing (pretty common on Amazon and Ali from what I've heard.)

Either way, it's 1280 wide, but the question is whether you've got 720 or 960 vertical (16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratios.) My *guess* would be that the camera sensor is 1280x960, but the chip driving the output crops it to 1280x720. If that's true (big if!) then you could ignore the 960p specs and just choose a 720p converter.

As for displays, I'd assume that low level systems like this must be matched, but I honestly know very little about video stuff. For all I know HDMI is magical and the display will resize the 720p signal to whatever resolution fits on the display... but I doubt it. If I were in your shoes, I'd make sure to buy products that all have matching resolutions.

I should really stop answering these questions. Honestly, I don't know much about this stuff - these are all just educated guesses.
No problem, thanks for your help!

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I found one screen with res 800x800. Do you think that it will display images taken by the 1280x720 camera?
Like I said before, this isn't my area of expertise. I've done a little bit of my own research into display interfacing, but not much.

That said, you need to look at interfaces more than screen resolution. How is the data getting from one device to another? Do both sides use HDMI? Does the display use some huge parallel RGB bus? What chips or onboard micros are used in the transmitting and receiving of the data communication?

You need to be doing a deep dive into part numbers and datasheets. The datasheets should tell you what, if any, format conversion is possible without an intermediate processor.

...and if you're looking at parts from suppliers who don't offer datasheets or component part numbers, then you're flying blind. Someone with more experience might be able to piece this together without the relevant information, but I wouldn't consider it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I found one screen with res 800x800. Do you think that it will display images taken by the 1280x720 camera?
Not unless you have a fast enough microprocessor in between. And you know or can learn the algorithms to shrink the image or crop the 1280 image edge to 800 pixels.

You have a 500ml beer mug and 1l pitcher of beer. Can you pour all the beer into your mug without spilling any? (Note the relative sizes of my example are close to your question). The beer mug is your display and the pitcher is the camera.