How to Charge a Phone using a Fan

DavidRivera

Joined Apr 25, 2020
Hi I will like little help here... I want to do a phone charger (5v) using a table fan. The fan input is 120v 60H 0.35A. When I open the fan I see the 120v cable clips in a box that has 3 diferent cables that makes the 3 different speeds of the fan... Well that doesn't do the different speeds I know the electricity goes in to the head of the fan and the transformers reduce that voltage. I need to know what voltage is out after that process so I can know if I need a diode or resistance after so I can achieve the 5v project that work for charging the phone.

I will like to know also is there is a way to transform a normal house light bulb into a phone charger. Anyone of these achievements would be great for my project. Thanks

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Neither will work, fan or light bulb. Three speed fans often just switch motor windings for speeds and some use capacitors for speeds. A simple Google of Three Speed Fan circuits will bring up a few dozen circuit examples none of which is easily tapped into or modified to charge a phone. Leave things alone before you end up with a fried phone and shocking experience. As to a lamp or light bulb I haven't a clue where you are going with that. Charge a phone with an approved charger system.

Ron

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ditto the answers so far. A 5V charger is not a bad beginner project but neither a fan nor a light bulb is a useful starting point.

A genuine charger is so cheap, it really makes no sense to build one. You can likely find one free at an electronics recycling dump.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The motor in a table fan is the wrong sort of motor to use for a generator for fan charging.
Converting a "House light BULB" into a charging device requires far more effort and cost than hiring a lawyer to go to a store and buy you one. That is to say, it does not make any sense to consider it because the cost and effort will far exceed any possible value.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That doesn't seem to be what the plan was.
OK, I had not considered the concept of using the motor as a transformer. Good call.
BUT even if the voltage was right it would have the charging circuit directly connected to the mains circuit and that would certainly be an unsafe condition.
AND that is in addition to the probability of frying or burning up the phone.
Thus it is really NOT a good idea, and probaly is also against the policy of having dangerous mains connected circuits here. And the corst of a transformer to make it safe is many times the cost of a good charger purchased new. AND LOTS of times greater than the cost of replacing a destroyed phone.