How to Build a Laser Diode

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Hi,

I have never made a laser before or have electronics experience, but I do want to make a laser and if possible (without highly specialized equipment) the diode as well.

1. Is making a diode possible?
2. If yes, how do I do it?
3. If no, where do I find resources on how to adjust or remake an existing diode? (Can you change the color output?)

Thanks,
Cheeky Remarks

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
An almost impossible task ...no you cannot change the colour , like an led that's determined by materials used ....

If you want to build a working laser yourself you start with buying the diode

Laser diode .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-CO...313096&hash=item2a5915afc4:g:kzwAAMXQRPRTIieB
laser diode.jpg
then you need a lens , and a heat sink , and a powersupply that won't blow it (they're very sensitive) .... all these components are on eBay , and that's quiet a tricky job ...much easier and cheaper to buy an assembled laser...

It is more feasible to build a gas laser ...a glass tube with gas inside and 2 mirrors , and some other things ... this will be much more powerful

Moderators note : copied image from webpage and interted it into post

Last edited by a moderator:

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019
An almost impossible task ...no you cannot change the colour , like an led that's determined by materials used ....

If you want to build a working laser yourself you start with buying the diode

Laser diode .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-CO...313096&hash=item2a5915afc4:g:kzwAAMXQRPRTIieB
then you need a lens , and a heat sink , and a powersupply that won't blow it (they're very sensitive) .... all these components are on eBay , and that's quiet a tricky job ...much easier and cheaper to buy an assembled laser...

It is more feasible to build a gas laser ...a glass tube with gas inside and 2 mirrors , and some other things ... this will be much more powerful
I appreciate the advice and sympathy, but I want to build it for the challenge! I will definitely look into the gas laser too. I just want to build something small and work to big as I get better.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hi,

I have never made a laser before or have electronics experience, but I do want to make a laser and if possible (without highly specialized equipment) the diode as well.

1. Is making a diode possible?
2. If yes, how do I do it?
3. If no, where do I find resources on how to adjust or remake an existing diode? (Can you change the color output?)

Thanks,
Cheeky Remarks
No... you don't have the skillset or equipment, or the legal ability to do so. The fact that you even think you can, really suggests that you have no idea how one works to begin with, because if you did, you realize that you don't have what it takes to do it. Seriously- it's not a question of a challenge. You don't have the equipment, or the requisite knowledge to do the processes involved, even if you could do it legally where you are.

And by legal I mean- handling listed chemicals in safe manners, including safety equipment/procedures/training in place, as well as disposal etc.... just... no no no.

Spend a couple of pounds to purchase a laser pointer, and pull the diode & circuit out of that.

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019
No... you don't have the skillset or equipment, or the legal ability to do so. The fact that you even think you can, really suggests that you have no idea how one works to begin with, because if you did, you realize that you don't have what it takes to do it. Seriously- it's not a question of a challenge. You don't have the equipment, or the requisite knowledge to do the processes involved, even if you could do it legally where you are.

And by legal I mean- handling listed chemicals in safe manners, including safety equipment/procedures/training in place, as well as disposal etc.... just... no no no.

Spend a couple of pounds to purchase a laser pointer, and pull the diode & circuit out of that.
Which site has laser pointer a you recommend?

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Do you have the equipment, materials, and know-how to make a diode or transistor?
Then yes, go for it.
No, so I'm going to order a weak laser pointer and play with it first, take it apart in time, and then see what I can do. I need recommendations for good websites to get a non retina damaging laser from. Not eBay. But, I will learn how to do some of that because I'm going to be an electrical apprentice soon.

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
No, so I'm going to order a weak laser pointer and play with it first, take it apart in time, and then see what I can do. I need recommendations for good websites to get a non retina damaging laser from.
Forget buying a laser pointer and dismantling it; the only thing you'll learn from that is how devilishly clever the Chinese can be when putting together a product so that it cannot be disassembled.

Rather than go through that agony, just buy the raw laser diode module; you can get them on Amazon, pack of 10 for five bucks and change (just enter "laser diode" in the Amazon search window):

lasers.png

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Forget buying a laser pointer and dismantling it; the only thing you'll learn from that is how devilishly clever the Chinese can be when putting together a product so that it cannot be disassembled.

Rather than go through that agony, just buy the raw laser diode module; you can get them on Amazon, pack of 10 for five bucks and change (just enter "laser diode" in the Amazon search window):

View attachment 197451
Thanks! I will be looking into a couple of options but because that is cheap, that one is definitely one of them. I still want to get a laser pointer though, maybe from an American-based company, if there is one. If one day I make one, I want to have learned from taking apart quality ones.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Thanks! I will be looking into a couple of options but because that is cheap, that one is definitely one of them. I still want to get a laser pointer though, maybe from an American-based company, if there is one. If one day I make one, I want to have learned from taking apart quality ones.
Suit yourself, but I can't imagine what you expect to learn from doing that: there's nothing in one of those pointers except a laser module such as the ones I showed above, battery(s), a switch, and a tube to house it all in. No magic, nothing profound or earth-shaking. But if doing that is what floats your boat, go for it.

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Suit yourself, but I can't imagine what you expect to learn from doing that: there's nothing in one of those pointers except a laser module such as the ones I showed above, battery(s), a switch, and a tube to house it all in. No magic, nothing profound or earth-shaking. But if doing that is what floats your boat, go for it.
Thanks, I don't know yet so I can't say. But I will order the diodes before the laser.

really.cheeky.remarks

Joined Dec 27, 2019

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
but I do want to be safe
i actually did watch the DVD lazer - the next and the overnext day i clearly saw what i had seen (a G.D. same watermark everywhere i looked)

there was a radio broadcast about occupational diseases they said there "Every next working position is the better working position . . ."

e.g. -- if you gonna spend a lot time working with these you have to know . . . how not to pay the price for afterwards