How to Boost AC Frequency with a Simple Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

amspurge

Joined Jan 15, 2016
I'm trying to boost the efficiency of a resistance heater by concentrating the current at the surface of the conductor using the skin effect. I've read that the higher an AC signal's frequency, the more concentrated the current will be towards the skin of the conductor (heating element in my application).

If I can boost my frequency then I should be able to make my heater more efficient, right? Right now I get the steel conductor to about 100A in two seconds at about 1V (it is only on for two seconds).

I'd like to utilize the skin effect, higher frequency, and a lower resistance plating (Nickle or Chromium) to increase the efficiency of my heater.

Any suggestions on how to boost the frequency of my signal while still maintaining an ideal sine wave?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It doesn't matter what frequency you use or what material the element is made of. All that determines the amount of heat produced is the input power. All the electricity which goes in comes out as heat. Electric heaters are 100% efficient!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I agree with Albert.
The higher the frequency the more likely it is that the overall system efficiency will be reduced, because of parasitic energy losses elsewhere in the system (e.g. in the driving circuit and by EM radiation).

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm trying to boost the efficiency of a resistance heater by concentrating the current at the surface of the conductor using the skin effect. I've read that the higher an AC signal's frequency, the more concentrated the current will be towards the skin of the conductor (heating element in my application).

If I can boost my frequency then I should be able to make my heater more efficient, right? Right now I get the steel conductor to about 100A in two seconds at about 1V (it is only on for two seconds).

I'd like to utilize the skin effect, higher frequency, and a lower resistance plating (Nickle or Chromium) to increase the efficiency of my heater.

Any suggestions on how to boost the frequency of my signal while still maintaining an ideal sine wave?
There's various ways to increase frequency, probably the simplest is to excite an LC tank circuit that's tuned to a close harmonic of your starting frequency. You'd need to study some of the more advanced Ham radio books for how to do that at high power - you're probably going to need a class-C PA stage and a pretty tight LC circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.