How to be a good PCB Design Engineer

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The British and European Standards based say “secured” but don’t specify how. I favoured the cable tie, because it is quicker than waiting for glue to set, or feeding the cable up and down through several holes in the board, which is another popular method.
Most of the glued wire attachments have been done with an application of hot glue. So there is no drying time, but instead the bond is set by the time the assembly moves to the next station.

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Thank you all. I have gotten helpful insights from your recommendations. Deeply, I know I need to get my hands dirty with electronics but I don't know which particular field interests me. Control systems looks fascinating but I would like to delve into it at the components level and not modular. Can someone suggests where I can get circuits for control systems?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi.
I am being very specific and polite

You asked this question:
Can someone suggests where I can get circuits for control systems?

That link IMHO answers part of your question.

You should perhaps be more specific in what you are asking.?

E

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Hi.
I am being very specific and polite

You asked this question:
Can someone suggests where I can get circuits for control systems?

That link IMHO answers part of your question.

You should perhaps be more specific in what you are asking.?

E
Can I dm you for a personalized request regarding my question?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi Ex,
Sorry, I do not answer technical questions regarding projects, using PM's or Conversations

Post your questions to the forums, so that we all have the opportunity to answer.

As a Student, what subject and in which year are you currently studying, towards a final qualification.?

The reason for asking is that we can correctly base our replies in a way that will be most helpful to you.
E

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Thank you all. I have gotten helpful insights from your recommendations. Deeply, I know I need to get my hands dirty with electronics but I don't know which particular field interests me. Control systems looks fascinating but I would like to delve into it at the components level and not modular. Can someone suggests where I can get circuits for control systems?
Industrial controls is fun. Here's something I did for a prior job, it would be a great learning project for you. It's going to take you some time, but I guarantee you will learn a lot. Using 1 or more of this chip:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc-maxim-integrated/max22190atj/8571211

These are industrial 24v input chips, for reading standard Type 1,2 or 3 industrial inputs. You interface to these chips via SPI, and they can be chained together. Each chip has 8 inputs, so for 16 inputs you would use 2, etc.. I used 4 so I know at least 4 can work together without problem, but maybe start with one just get the basics working first, then add more in. You can use an Arduino to talk to them. Put a couple of these on a board and learn to communicate with them with the Arduino to talk to them. The chips can also give you all sorts of status data, such as over temp, low voltage, whether devices are even connected to the inputs (wire break detection), etc.. CRC on the data, a bunch of stuff.

You can start with a dev kit (MAX22190EVKIT) to learn how to talk to the chips (you will know for sure the hardware is good), then once you know how to talk to the chip, design your own board and put a couple of these chips on it chained together.

If you can get this working, you will learn circuit design, PCB layout, how to get a PCB made, how to solder tricky packages by hand (this comes in TQFN), how to code for a small embedded controller and how to enable communication between a microcontroller and other chips using SPI, how to communicate with chips in general and enable/disable different features (reading/writing registers, etc..), how to handle multiple voltages on a single board, plus how standard 24v industrial sensing works. This is a real world practical example that you might be asked to make at a real job. It's not a 5 minute project, but if you can get it working you will learn a ton.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Manufacturers of industrial control equipment often have application guides that are correct and detailed, two things not common on broader search results.
Application notes in electronics are useful and informative.

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Hi Ex,
Sorry, I do not answer technical questions regarding projects, using PM's or Conversations

Post your questions to the forums, so that we all have the opportunity to answer.

As a Student, what subject and in which year are you currently studying, towards a final qualification.?

The reason for asking is that we can correctly base our replies in a way that will be most helpful to you.
E
Ok thanks. I'm a graduate but unfortunately they are no design work in my country to gain experience. So most people just get that degree for certificate but I want to be able to design and build stuffs.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi @Exjay
I understand that you are keen to study and succeed in your career.
Do you have a personal career plan.?
eg: Hardware or Software engineer, which field of work.
Industrial, Medical, Aerospace, etc.....

An analogy would be if you were going on a journey, knowing your desired destination, you would determine the best route to get you there with the least effort and expense.

So how would you like to see your career, in 5 years and 10 years from now.?

E

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
hi @Exjay
I understand that you are keen to study and succeed in your career.
Do you have a personal career plan.?
eg: Hardware or Software engineer, which field of work.
Industrial, Medical, Aerospace, etc.....

An analogy would be if you were going on a journey, knowing your desired destination, you would determine the best route to get you there with the least effort and expense.

So how would you like to see your career, in 5 years and 10 years from now.?

E
I am longing to be in the industrial automation field in the near future. Currently, my work doesn't relate to engineering but my passion is unquenchable. I am going for masters in the US soon.

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Industrial controls is fun. Here's something I did for a prior job, it would be a great learning project for you. It's going to take you some time, but I guarantee you will learn a lot. Using 1 or more of this chip:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc-maxim-integrated/max22190atj/8571211

These are industrial 24v input chips, for reading standard Type 1,2 or 3 industrial inputs. You interface to these chips via SPI, and they can be chained together. Each chip has 8 inputs, so for 16 inputs you would use 2, etc.. I used 4 so I know at least 4 can work together without problem, but maybe start with one just get the basics working first, then add more in. You can use an Arduino to talk to them. Put a couple of these on a board and learn to communicate with them with the Arduino to talk to them. The chips can also give you all sorts of status data, such as over temp, low voltage, whether devices are even connected to the inputs (wire break detection), etc.. CRC on the data, a bunch of stuff.

You can start with a dev kit (MAX22190EVKIT) to learn how to talk to the chips (you will know for sure the hardware is good), then once you know how to talk to the chip, design your own board and put a couple of these chips on it chained together.

If you can get this working, you will learn circuit design, PCB layout, how to get a PCB made, how to solder tricky packages by hand (this comes in TQFN), how to code for a small embedded controller and how to enable communication between a microcontroller and other chips using SPI, how to communicate with chips in general and enable/disable different features (reading/writing registers, etc..), how to handle multiple voltages on a single board, plus how standard 24v industrial sensing works. This is a real world practical example that you might be asked to make at a real job. It's not a 5 minute project, but if you can get it working you will learn a ton.
So insightful! I would consider it.

daba1955

Joined Apr 27, 2019
One thing I would add is to route power-carrying tracks and signal tracks as far apart as possible. On a multi-layer PCB, if you have to cross those tracks (on different layers obviously, then do so at right-angles to each other.

Here's a section of a much larger board in which the "signal" tracks (layer inner1 - magenta) always cross the "power" tracks (LED drives) at 90 degrees. The only critiscism (of myself for doing so) is the proximity of the IR signal track to a "power" track.
2023-04-07_160259.jpg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I am longing to be in the industrial automation field in the near future.
hi @Exjay
I would consider focussing on becoming a Process Control Engineer, in view of the developing Oil industry in Nigeria.
I was employed for about 5 years with British Steel as a Process Control Engineer, involved in a wide range of electronic disciplines, also computer programming and automation.

E

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
hi @Exjay
I would consider focussing on becoming a Process Control Engineer, in view of the developing Oil industry in Nigeria.
I was employed for about 5 years with British Steel as a Process Control Engineer, involved in a wide range of electronic disciplines, also computer programming and automation.

E
Eric, it doesn't work that way here. I don't know any influential person here. You have to know someone with sure links despite your knowledge. I am going to the US to further my studies. I would join school communities and some internship. Also, I would start personal development journey Mr expert proferred.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Eric, it doesn't work that way here. I don't know any influential person here. You have to know someone with sure links despite your knowledge. I am going to the US to further my studies. I would join school communities and some internship. Also, I would start personal development journey Mr expert proferred.
Sounds like you need to start meeting some influential people - this is part of your personal development journey. Part of having a good career is getting away from the computer and meeting new people.

There are several popular software options available for PCB (Printed Circuit Board) designing, each with its own set of features and capabilities. Here are some widely used software tools for PCB design:

Altium Designer: Altium Designer is a comprehensive PCB design software that offers a range of features including schematic capture, PCB layout, 3D visualization, signal integrity analysis, and design rule checks. It is known for its user-friendly interface and powerful design capabilities.

Autodesk Eagle: Eagle is a widely used PCB design software that provides a user-friendly interface, schematic capture, PCB layout, and extensive component libraries. It offers both free and paid versions, making it accessible to hobbyists and professionals alike.

KiCad: KiCad is an open-source PCB design software with a large and active user community. It offers features such as schematic capture, PCB layout, 3D modeling, and extensive library support. KiCad is known for its flexibility and cross-platform compatibility.

OrCAD: OrCAD is a popular PCB design suite that includes tools for schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity analysis, and simulation. It is widely used in the industry and offers advanced features for complex designs.

PADS: PADS (PowerPCB) is a professional-grade PCB design software that provides comprehensive design and analysis tools. It offers features such as schematic capture, PCB layout, thermal analysis, signal integrity analysis, and high-speed design capabilities.

Proteus: Proteus is a PCB design and simulation software that integrates schematic capture, PCB layout, and virtual prototyping. It allows for real-time testing and debugging of designs and offers a range of simulation options.

Cadence Allegro: Allegro is a high-end PCB design and layout software with advanced features and capabilities. It offers comprehensive design and analysis tools, including schematic capture, layout, simulation, and signal integrity analysis.

These are just a few examples of PCB design software available in the market. The choice of software depends on your specific requirements, budget, and level of expertise. It's recommended to evaluate the features, compatibility, and support options of each software to find the one that best suits your needs.

jeffmon

Joined May 12, 2023
Hello Experts,

I really appreciate your unrelenting help you guys provide for to people on this forum. My question this time, I would like to know how to be able to design PCB on my own. There's no company doing here doing PCB Design, so I have to learn it be myself. I have KiCad installed already to start learning.
Hi
For 75% of PCBs the basic understanding of KiCad and a bit of creativity will produce operational PCBs. When you get into the really high frequency stuff, fast digital circuits and high current circuits, you need to be trained properly. Becoming a really good PCB engineer can be learnt by yourself but be prepared for many, many failures especially for prototypes. Whilst earning my PhD, many months were required to achieve a good understanding of what is required. The design of PCBs was a separate subject all on its own. My advice is to stick with it because when you produce a great looking PCB that operates perfectly, the adrenaline rush and sense of achievement is better than any drug.

My biggest PCB was 290mm x 310mm, 4 layers and had over 450 components onboard. I spent 4 months at 3 hours a day to get it right. I produced 7 prototypes before it worked. When this happened I was on cloud 9 for weeks. Not to mention the several 1000's of dollars in my pocket.

Keep at it, the end result is worth it.