How to attenuate an undesired signal

rayraysayshi

Joined Oct 9, 2012
Hello, I am working on some homework and wish to learn how to attenuate a strong signal so it doesn't interfere with another desired frequency. My question is; a strong signal at 2.45 MHz is interfering with an AM signal at 980 Hz. Design a filter that will attenuate the undesired signal by at least 60 dB.

First I extract given data;
2.45 MHz (signal to be attenuated)
980 kHz (desired signal)
60 dB (factor which undesired frequency needs to be attenuated)

I know I wish to implement a low-pass filter but I dont know how to go about creating a circuit from the 3 given values. I tried to use the voltage gain relationship, Gain [dB] = 20log(Vout/Vin) but, this just gives me Vout/Vin which I fail to see useful when I am only given an undesired frequency and a desired one.

I'm confused what order the filter needs/can be. I'm confused about how to get the transfer function from the given information. I believe once I have the transfer function I can draw the circuit.

Any ideas, obvious misunderstanding or suggestions? Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

rayraysayshi

Joined Oct 9, 2012
I'm reading about notch circuits right now and this seems like the right approach; via wikipedia;

"...that passes most frequencies unaltered, but attenuates those in a specific range to very low levels. It is the opposite of a band-pass filter. A notch filter is a band-stop filter with a narrow stopband (high Q factor)."

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Filters are rated at db/decade. I forgot how many. How many decades of frequency do you have to work with? A little over 2. Will a single pole filter do 30 db per decade? I don't think so.

See me trying to arrive at what order of filter will be required?

rayraysayshi

Joined Oct 9, 2012
How many decades of frequency do you have to work with? A little over 2.
I'm reading why it should be a little over 2 now, I don't fully understand dB/decade.

Okay...I'm starting to see some equations appear; first I converted the frequency to radians/s:
2.45 MHz = 15.39E6 rad/s
980 kHz = 6.157E6 rad/s

and now log(15.39E6/6.157E6) = 2.5 decades which means I will need more than one pole in the denominator.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If the Q of the LC filter is high enough, it would be no problem to eliminate the 2.45 Mhz signal.
A series LC circuit would already be a simple solution:

How would it otherwise be possible to recieve a single station on the radio?

Bertus

rayraysayshi

Joined Oct 9, 2012
So a second order circuit is now in my crosshairs...There are second-order bandstop* filter equations;

http://imgur.com/u5rAqju

I wouldn't be able to tune to a different station if I've adjusted my Q factor very high--it would only tune into that frequency. But for now I am assuming that I don't care about receiving any other frequencies and only care to receive the AM.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you wanted to use a low-pass filter you would select a corner frequency somewhat above the desired frequency (so it isn't appreciably attenuated) say 1MHz. From that to the 2.45MHz frequency is a little over an octave so you want a rolloff of near 60dB/octave. This can be accomplished with an 8th-order Butterworth filter or a 6th-order Chebyshev with 0.5dB passband ripple, which would require 4 or 3 high-speed op amp 2nd-order Sallen-Key filters respectively.

That becomes fairly complex so perhaps Bertus's design to use a resonant notch filter for the desired attenuation would be preferable. But you may need some way to tune the notch frequency to compensate for component tolerances.