how pager(RF devices that listen all the time) achieve long battery life

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

I don't understand why a pager (or other RF devices) can achieve long battery life, and a pager needs to listen to the incoming signal all the time, while only powered by one AAA battery.

I can understand a RF device doesn't need to listen all the time, only need to wake up like a few mills seconds per second. Does that mean a paging transmitter needs to broadcast the same data many times over a long time (say 1s) to make sure a pager can receive the data?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hi guys

I don't understand why a pager (or other RF devices) can achieve long battery life, and a pager needs to listen to the incoming signal all the time, while only powered by one AAA battery.

I can understand a RF device doesn't need to listen all the time, only need to wake up like a few mills seconds per second. Does that mean a paging transmitter needs to broadcast the same data many times over a long time (say 1s) to make sure a pager can receive the data?
Yes, the transmitter is a line-powered broadcast transmitter so it's not particularly concerned about power usage and can broadcast more or less continually.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi guys
True. I've got a two way work pager. That thing eats batteries when transmitting a reply.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Thanks guys, I was excited a bit that I can find a RF device that can listen all the time but also have a long battery life. But it sounds like this feature come with big compromise.

Is there anyway to get around this?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thanks guys, I was excited a bit that I can find a RF device that can listen all the time but also have a long battery life. But it sounds like this feature come with big compromise.

Is there anyway to get around this?
Nope.
You just design it to use as little power as possible, and then listen only as long/often, as required to receive the data you want.