how much power supplies do i need??

Robsim

Joined Sep 6, 2016
Is a triple output or three single output power supplies enough for designing circuits with op amps, transistors relays, contactors enough.??

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I have one power supply that gives me +5V at up to 500 mA and +/- 0-15V at up to 100 mA for general use with opamp circuits and microcontrollers, plus a 0-35V 5A supply for higher power stuff, and a collection of assorted AC and DC wall-warts. Seems to be adequate...

Robsim

Joined Sep 6, 2016
I have one power supply that gives me +5V at up to 500 mA and +/- 0-15V at up to 100 mA for general use with opamp circuits and microcontrollers, plus a 0-35V 5A supply for higher power stuff, and a collection of assorted AC and DC wall-warts. Seems to be adequate...

I want to focus on automation, microcontrollers, Contactors, thyristors etc. Also I don't want a ton of wall warts. They pick up space. The parts i could use.

Ok so you have 3 power supplies. I already have two 30v 5 amp power supplies. If I have a third one i'm covering about everything, am I correct??

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Ok so you have 3 power supplies. I already have two 30v 5 amp power supplies. If I have a third one i'm covering about everything, am I correct??
Yes. But you likely don't need 5A, if you want to buy a cheaper supply.

Robsim

Joined Sep 6, 2016
Yes. But you likely don't need 5A, if you want to buy a cheaper supply.
Ok, the power supplies I have are not expensive and also not the fancy programmable ones. As a beginner I bought mid range priced
($90 - $ 150) power supplies with coarse/fine adjustment pots. For me it is very imported that if a power supply fails, I must be able to repair it myself. I also did not buy one with triple outputs because I am afraid that if something bad happens with the unit i'm completely out of business.

One power supply I already have is now cheaper, so I will get that. Ok so i'm on the right track??