How much power can be generated from a dc motor as a generator?

chughtaiii

Joined Oct 25, 2019
I have a DC motor which operates @ 40 v and use 500W of power.How much power can be generated from this motor as a generator and what will be the max voltage that i can receive.Please guide me.And what is clock wise and anti clock wise rotation effects on efficiency ?Please suggest a video for concept of this type.

smp4616

Joined Oct 31, 2019
theoretically you could get a lot of power from it. the question you're asking is probably not fully fleshed out, as the voltage depends on rpm, magnetic field strength, number of windings, but I believe is proportional to rpm, so the faster you spin it, the more power you could get until the internal resistance of the windings and hysteresis losses in the cores causes the metal to melt...

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
General answer: much less than AC motor in async generation regime. Any squirrel-cage motor may be reverted to async regime if to hang on the capacitor battery on phases calculated by the same formula like switching three phase motor into one-phase network. If quote correctly C (mkF)=2520*U/i and 4850*U/i depending on is it delta or star circuit. If then say slide is 1% and sinc speed is 1500 rpm, then real nominal speed in motor regime will be 1500-15=1485. Now apply the slide reversely, 1500+15=1515 rpm and this is the speed at which the nominal power will be produced out. For less turns will be less voltage, less power, and less frequency. For higher rpm will be higher frequency, higher voltage but still the same max current in wires (dictated by resistance-caused warmup).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a DC motor which operates @ 40 v and use 500W of power.How much power can be generated from this motor as a generator and what will be the max voltage that i can receive.Please guide me.And what is clock wise and anti clock wise rotation effects on efficiency ?Please suggest a video for concept of this type.
The generated voltage will be dependent on RPM and will be equal to the same voltage value as the equivalent required for a particular RPM when used as a motor.
There normally will be no difference in the direction the motor is driven.
Some ex-TM and have a direction specified on the label, this is because the shaft/flywheel is threaded on and reverse results in the spin off of the Flywheel.
Most DC motors are permanent magnet now so all you need is the motor plate details to find the spec's when generating mode.
Max.