How long?

Joined Aug 5, 2005
im an idiot and i have a question..how do i know how long a certain battery will last? i have a battery connected to motor..is it as simple as dividing the ampere-hr rating of a battery with amp consumption of the motor?

Joined Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Sep 16 2005, 12:37 PM
That simple caclulation will indeed give a good estimate. (Looks like you are not an idiot after all.)

For more info on batteries, see: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/ :)
[post=10367]Quoted post[/post]​
hey..that link is very good..thanks..i was about to ask something like that..but you answered my question before i even asked it

Joined Aug 5, 2005
now i have another question..how can i make a battery meter? to know how much power is left in the battery..something like the cellphone meter..oh yeah, i almost forgot, what are deep cell batteries? the site posted above was all about what chemicals are used in a battery and i did not see any deep cell battery there

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by 10124241@Sep 18 2005, 10:08 PM
now i have another question..how can i make a battery meter? to know how much power is left in the battery..something like the cellphone meter..oh yeah, i almost forgot, what are deep cell batteries? the site posted above was all about what chemicals are used in a battery and i did not see any deep cell battery there
[post=10446]Quoted post[/post]​
A deep cycle battery is one that is designed to be almost completely discharged and recharged frequently. NiCad batteries (like in older model cell phones) are a good example of this. They work best when almost fully discharged, then fully recharged. Car batteries (lead-acid) are the opposite of a deep cycle battery. It's best not to let a car battery be completely discharged because it reduces battery life.

However, most betteries that are advertised as "deep cycle" are lead-acids that are sold in UPS (Un-interruptable power supplies), marine and RV industries. The major difference between a true deep cycle battery and others is that the plates are solid lead plates - not the sponge type found in car batteries. This reduces stratification (acid concentrating near the bottom of the cells) and sulfation.

There's hardly any way to be sure if you're buying a true deep cycle battery or one that has sly advertising to appear as a deep cycle. Best to check the manufacturer specs on any battery you buy for proper charge / discharge rates and frequnecy.