How long can you go without sleep?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150220-how-long-can-we-stay-awake

I read this about sleep and it got me thinking about the longest I've been able to stay awake and still remain able to work even with the little black spiders crawling on my hands and down my neck.

I think it was about 3 or 4 days before I really started to see things that I couldn't make go away with effort. After about 2 days I didn't really feel sleepy and was alert but I could tell something was strange in the world.

So what's the longest you've been awake without sleep?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The longest I ever went was 60 hours and it was not an enjoyable experience -- I was able to function throughout that time (had to!) and even had to drive (a few miles in town) several times and had no problems. When it was all done I was quite alert and didn't feel tired, but had no problems falling asleep for a very sound 12 hours at which point I was back to normal and fully refreshed.

Now I can make it about 30, maybe 36, but don't like to go more than about 20 hours if I can avoid it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150220-how-long-can-we-stay-awake

I read this about sleep and it got me thinking about the longest I've been able to stay awake and still remain able to work even with the little black spiders crawling on my hands and down my neck.

I think it was about 3 or 4 days before I really started to see things that I couldn't make go away with effort. After about 2 days I didn't really feel sleepy and was alert but I could tell something was strange in the world.

So what's the longest you've been awake without sleep?
Ha! I just read that article two days ago and thought about posting it in this forum... but I was too tired and just had to hit the sac... ha ha ha... Anyway, what really drew my attention is the mention about this poor teen that back in 1964 stayed awake for 264 hours. But my personal record is only about 36 hrs... back when I was about 20... now I just can't survive if I don't sleep at least 8 hours every day.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
5 days. The pitch of my voice went a halftone or two up after 3 days, I saw constant movements at the edge of my vision and colors faded almost into black and white.

Just to name a few side effects.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Until three years ago, several times up to 36 hours in vessels discharging heavy cargo. Twice, with one month difference, when driving home after completing one of those, I fell asleep waiting for the green light in an avenue, surprisingly at the same corner.

My record is 58 hours spent actively working in the loading of a vessel full of project cargo with the last hour driving home. (The most dangerous moment when you start relaxing)

The unexpected touch of irony is that 20 minutes later, a guy from the agency called and said "Agustín, we have to discharge your vessel". The only thing I could say was "I can't answer nor make questions. Call you tomorrow".

Nowadays I refuse to repeat those performances, basically working overnight. Did much of that at sea / in port. Oh yes!!

Sure, nothing I feel happy with nor proud of.

Last edited:

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
When i was 20-ish, most I did was about 100 hours. I woke up on sunday morning and went to bed on thursday night.
Few years later when I was driving in convoy from Baghdad to Mosul, it was around 60-70 hrs, but after that I fell asleep next to 500 kW generator while it was operational.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I was doing 24 - 30 in the oil fields fairly often but much past that and my personality goes all to heck.:eek:

Longest I can recall was about 3 days.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Few years later when I was driving in convoy from Baghdad to Mosul, it was around 60-70 hrs, but after that I fell asleep next to 500 kW generator while it was operational.
Thanks for your service.