How does this circuit works?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That's why I asked as to what was in the middle of the coil that I saw. The sketch I found just shows a magnet being moved over the coil. The magnet on the end of the flame blade isn't going to be doing a great deal of moving relatively compared to a pendulum, very short radius of swing from its axle. Is there an iron element in the center of the coil that might be moved by the magnet? Also, I keep seeing these kinds of oscillators with a capacitor (which I expected but is missing here). Balancing all of this out to make it work is quite a little feat, even as simple as it looks. I am impressed.
I don't understand the reference of your comment. Which circuit are you talking about?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The TS coil. The blade of the "Flame" is not very large and the distance from the pivot axle to the magnet on the end of the blade is very short. Therefore there is not a great deal of movement across the coil as there would be from a long radius pendulum (in comparison). So... Could the magnet also be moving an iron mass in and out of the coil? Can't tell from the photos so far.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The TS coil. The blade of the "Flame" is not very large and the distance from the pivot axle to the magnet on the end of the blade is very short. Therefore there is not a great deal of movement across the coil as there would be from a long radius pendulum (in comparison). So... Could the magnet also be moving an iron mass in and out of the coil? Can't tell from the photos so far.
So, let me revise what I originally said. I didn't spend quite enough time analyzing. While it looks very much like a version of the pendulum circuit I showed above, there are some problems with that idea.

1. There doesn't seem to be connections for a sense coil, which would be necessary for the scheme I had in mind.
  2. The period of the small pendulum would be quite short, and it would move very quickly (maybe it does).
  3. It might or might not be self starting and I expect the candle would be.

I was a little too quick in my conclusion, though it still might be the case.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It pretty much agrees with the circuit I posted, except it is missing a capacitor (which I expected to see in this type of circuit). The circuit I posted is missing the LED but it is easy enough to add one as the load. IF the TS device is actually using a magnet to move an iron mass in and out of the coil.... Not sure exactly how but would think it would be of some aide. Curious device!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If the coil had a core then the dangling magnet would be liable to be permanently attracted to it and fail to swing.
I built a clock from balsa wood with a magnet in the bottom of the pendulum and a small circuit driving a coil underneath. It was a single coil but used two transistors. I don't know how it is done with just one transistor. Could the 'transistor' actually be an IC?
There are several designs on WWW.
1622372831432.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Sry E, I can't see it in that blurry pic.

I suspect the 1Hz timer is in the LED.
E
In the LED itself or in the circuit? Some clearer pics to try and follow the tracks and scribble a schematic would help. I think we have pretty much figured out what and how, just not the details. LOL Caught my interest as a new trick for an old dog!

praveenmax

Joined Apr 26, 2016
Hi all,
Posting the high-res close up images of circuit. Based on the discussions going here, I guess this is one strange circuit design... :)

On top of the circular core, it mentions "LT"
IMG_20210530_171337.jpg

Another view :
In the middle, it says "L1" (inverted in the pic).
And in the sides, "089" and " 151"

IMG_20210530_171551.jpg

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
OK, the L1 marking is clear but the results for it very confusing. Could be voltage detector, PNP, NPN, etc...

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
This is what I get attempting to trace the circuit:

1622382519080.png
If this is correct, the SOT23 is an IC that pulses the coil every 1 second.

Bob