How does my computer send its screen to the TV?

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I have a new computer and a new TV, and I've found that there's a feature where the computer can send its current screen to the TV. That was possible without any need to link the TV to wi-fi or to Bluetooth, and there's no cable between them, so how are they connected? It's yet another little radio link buzzing away, I suppose.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Most of us use a DVI cable to link the TV to computer.
I say a DVI wireless box. I noticed a half second delay. Search for DVI wireless.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Just to be totally sure, I went and turned the router off. The TV was still showing whatever was on the computer screen (and yes, I checked that a change in the display was shown). But after turning the router on again, I still have it up as I'm typing, and I'm seeing what Ronsimpson said--there's a noticeable delay, maybe not quite half a second, but it's definitely there. It's odd, though. Typing keys seems to get delayed, but moving the mouse doesn't. Could that be true? I'm pretty sure though, because I tried a simple little test. I ran the mouse cursor across the row of icons at the top of the edit window here. On the computer, the drop-down labels tracked the mouse almost instantaneously, while on the TV there was a fair-sized lag.

And yes, it seems as if what I have is wireless DVI. I can't find out much about it (there's only a Wikipedia entry for the wired version of DVI) but there are plenty of modules advertised that can do it as add-ons, though my computer and TV have it built in. Maybe others have it and don't know about it? On a Windows 10 computer, you'd find it in Settings-Bluetooth and other devices-Add a device, select "Wireless displays and docks" and if it's going to work, your TV is listed there.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I agree with JWHassler that it is Chromecast or similar. I think it uses the Wi Fi interface but it does not go via the router.

Les.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Yes, I looked up Miracast (has Wikipedia entry) and that sounds like it. It seems likely that any computer or TV made in the last few years would have it. But the easily-accessible data for my HP computer and Samsung TV never mention it! I wonder if the manufacturers think it would confuse most people, and anyone who has the need to use it, will know how.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have a new computer and a new TV, and I've found that there's a feature where the computer can send its current screen to the TV. That was possible without any need to link the TV to wi-fi or to Bluetooth, and there's no cable between them, so how are they connected? It's yet another little radio link buzzing away, I suppose.
The somple way to discover how is to locate the "input" selector screen and see what input is selected when you get the computer image on the screen.
Of course you have a privacy issue because if your computer is sending out a wireless screen image then others can also view that image.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hello,

My new SHARP TV is an Android TV.
It has Chomecast build in.

Bertus
My preference is that what I have on my computer screen not be available to whoever may be snooping. Any signal being broadcast can be received by those who take the effort to receive it.. I suggest learning from the computer suppliers how to switch that feature off. Ongoing privacy is certainly worth the cost of a video cable. While cables can also be compromised, in most home computer setups any tap-in would be quite obvious.
And now if ia buy another TV I will explain that Chromcast is a show-stopper.