How does DPCM work in digital systems?

FabulouSS

Joined Feb 5, 2019
Hello!

I can not figure out the implementation of DPCM in a digital system. I have an 8-bit ADC, the output of which is a digital signal (discretized and quantized) - this is PCM. I don’t know how to make DPCM from PCM.

My questions are as shown below:

1. In the diagram below, there is a quantizer - why is it needed if the signal is already quantized before it?
2. Also, I do not quite understand what a predictor is. In some sources, this is a simple one-measure delay line (sample).
3. What method can be used in the entropy encoder for compression?

upload_2019-8-6_13-24-8.png

Thanks for attention! :)
I use google translator.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hello!

I can not figure out the implementation of DPCM in a digital system. I have an 8-bit ADC, the output of which is a digital signal (discretized and quantized) - this is PCM. I don’t know how to make DPCM from PCM.

My questions are as shown below:

1. In the diagram below, there is a quantizer - why is it needed if the signal is already quantized before it?
2. Also, I do not quite understand what a predictor is. In some sources, this is a simple one-measure delay line (sample).

3. What method can be used in the entropy encoder for compression?

Thanks for attention! :)
I use google translator.
It's all here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_pulse-code_modulation

FabulouSS

Joined Feb 5, 2019
If you can show us what you think the answer is, we can maybe help you.
I will try to communicate in order to be understood!

I have assembled such a circuit according to the model (see Pic. #1).
So that at the output of the DPC modulator there would be at least 1 bit less (taking into account the sign bit) than with ordinary PCM, I had to increase the sampling frequency by 10 times! Explanations on the chart (see Pic. #2).

upload_2019-8-6_22-35-24.png

upload_2019-8-6_22-34-5.png

In this scheme, I did not add an entropy encoder, because I don’t know what formula should be encoded. Where could I be wrong? Although it seems to me that everywhere. :(