How do you regulate 24VAC

bfowlervt

Joined Feb 13, 2020
We manufacture products that run off 24VAC for residential use. We supply transformers for some products but not on all. We have issues sometimes with voltage fluctuations damaging our products, so my question is - is there an economical way to stabilize incoming voltage where I see the secondary of the transformers sometimes reaching 32VAC to closer to constant 24VAC?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If economy is an issue it could be tricky, what is the nature of the device?
It is unusual for an AC device to be sensitive to a little over voltage, particularly if it involves inductive devices.
Max.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You could use a pure-sine-wave inverter to get a stabilised output, but I don't know if you'd consider that 'economical'.

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
We manufacture products that run off 24VAC for residential use. We supply transformers for some products but not on all. We have issues sometimes with voltage fluctuations damaging our products, so my question is - is there an economical way to stabilize incoming voltage where I see the secondary of the transformers sometimes reaching 32VAC to closer to constant 24VAC?
Use a ferroresonant transformer (also known as constant voltage transformer or CVT). The efficiency of such transformers is about 90% provided the load is in excess of 80% of full load.

Regards,

Nandu.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Regulating AC would be more complicated than modifying your devices to operate on DC.