How do you get a seven segment display to countdown

Arjan Purewal

Joined Apr 29, 2016
Hi,

I am using circuit wizard 3 to create a circuit that uses a seven segment display to countdown from 9-0 using an E18 pic. I am able to draw the circuit but I am having problems creating the flowchart so that the seven segment display counts down.

I have thought of ways to do it but they include using a lot of commands. So I am looking for a better way to do it.

Thank You in advance

See below the circuit diagram for the seven segment display.
upload_2016-4-29_18-39-15.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A 7-segment display won't count up or down by itself. You have to connect it to a counter and a decoder. I have no idea what a GENIE18 chip is or is supposed to do.

Arjan Purewal

Joined Apr 29, 2016
A 7-segment display won't count up or down by itself. You have to connect it to a counter and a decoder. I have no idea what a GENIE18 chip is or is supposed to do.
A GENIE 18 chip is a micro controller.You programme the micro controller to do what ever you want the output to do. The programming part is done by using a flowchart, which I can do but want to know if it can be done better.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The clock is SW3.
As near as I can tell, SW3 is the reset pin and can't be used as the MCU's clock.

I appears that the "Genie 18" is a PIC16F88 MCU that is running some canned code that acts as a platform for running specially-formatted user code -- it appears to be essentially an emulator. I can't find very much substantive documentation about the emulator itself because, it appears, the whole idea is that it is a pretty abstract platform that the user interacts with only via flowcharts using special purpose software that are then compiled along with the emulator code and downloaded into the chip.

http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/13-6004.pdf

My guess is that the chip is configured to run using the internal 8 MHz oscillator.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
As near as I can tell, SW3 is the reset pin and can't be used as the MCU's clock.

I appears that the "Genie 18" is a PIC16F88 MCU that is running some canned code that acts as a platform for running specially-formatted user code -- it appears to be essentially an emulator. I can't find very much substantive documentation about the emulator itself because, it appears, the whole idea is that it is a pretty abstract platform that the user interacts with only via flowcharts using special purpose software that are then compiled along with the emulator code and downloaded into the chip.

http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/13-6004.pdf

My guess is that the chip is configured to run using the internal 8 MHz oscillator.
Kudos to you. You're a more intrepid detective than I was motivated to be. I used to think making a processor blink an LED for the first time made it the world's most expensive LED blinker. I yield the crown to this monstrosity assuming the TS can get it to work.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Kudos to you. You're a more intrepid detective than I was motivated to be. I used to think making a processor blink an LED for the first time made it the world's most expensive LED blinker. I yield the crown to this monstrosity assuming the TS can get it to work.
I have very mixed opinions on these kinds of platforms. They certainly have the potential to introduce people to electronics and programming that otherwise might never dip their toes in those waters, but they also tend to make many of those same people think that they know far more about electronics and programming when they actually know very little. The same could certainly be said about the venerable N-in-1 electronics kits of our youth, but I think it can be argued that those kinds of kits left the person with a more realistic impression of how much (and how little) they actually knew and laid out a reasonably obvious path for where to go from there if they had the interest. I know that was the case for me. I think platforms like these generally don't do a good job of showing that path -- which might simply reflect how little most people using these platforms care about exploring such a path.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have very mixed opinions on these kinds of platforms. They certainly have the potential to introduce people to electronics and programming that otherwise might never dip their toes in those waters, but they also tend to make many of those same people think that they know far more about electronics and programming when they actually know very little. The same could certainly be said about the venerable N-in-1 electronics kits of our youth, but I think it can be argued that those kinds of kits left the person with a more realistic impression of how much (and how little) they actually knew and laid out a reasonably obvious path for where to go from there if they had the interest. I know that was the case for me. I think platforms like these generally don't do a good job of showing that path -- which might simply reflect how little most people using these platforms care about exploring such a path.
We just have to accept that today, all kids are above average.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
We just have to accept that today, all kids are above average.
That is what every generation thinks ... till they get older, or is that wiser. :)

Tools, in this case the genie 18, doesn't make one smarter. I've heard the "smarter" argument lots of times over the past two decades but those arguing always seems to talk about the tools of their trade and not the human development.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The math doesn't work and in recent years, the older generation fears that the younger generation is lazier and dumber, therefore, it must have been sarcasm.
The problem is the generation in question would agree with your assessment and not recognize the sarcasm. Of course, I would have recommend they read Darrell Huff's book