How do you connect a 4 terminal inductor in a circuit?

Motriol

Joined Feb 1, 2024
Hello, I'm have this Inductor which I want to incorporate into a buck converter but I'm not sure which terminals I'm supposed to connect to?

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You have provided no useful information that would allow us to help you. How about a link to the manufacturer's datasheet instead of a glossy photograph from a middleman. I can't see where it says the part has four connections. If it is actually a choke then it may not be suitable for an SMPS application (buck converter), except as an input choke.

Motriol

Joined Feb 1, 2024
You have provided no useful information that would allow us to help you. How about a link to the manufacturer's datasheet instead of a glossy photograph from a middleman. I can't see where it says the part has four connections. If it is actually a choke then it may not be suitable for an SMPS application (buck converter), except as an input choke.
Here is the Datasheet

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Strangely, that datasheet does not appear to show the terminal connections, but I would assume that the two terminals at each end of the coil are connected together to that end of the coil.
It would be difficult to determine with an ohmmeter, due to the very low resistance of the coil.

Do you have any way to measure the coil inductance?

Motriol

Joined Feb 1, 2024

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The schematic diagram in the datasheet shows a single coil. I suspect that with a suitable ohmmeter you can determine which pins are shorted together and which pins are connected through the wire. The value you measure should be the DC resistance of the coil, which according to the datasheet, should be 9 mΩ typical up to 9.9 mΩ maximum.

I suppose it is possible that two of the four pins are not connected to anything which will also be evident from the Ohmmeter test. You want to find the two pins connected to opposite ends of the wire and you have a target resistance for that coil. If your Ohmmeter is not that sensitive, you might have to get creative.