How Do the Tester Works???

Rallabandi

Joined Aug 19, 2014
Hello Sir....
Since Many Days i am having a small Doubt regarding the working of the testers..as to complete the circuit while we test the power in any electronic- Devices with a tester..we will touch the external metal provide...in one of the replies you told that the Neon bulb requires very less current to glow...but if any device..i mean any load is provided there..it should not work with such a low current.????and also i have a doubt..we won't get a shock even we touch the metal..is this due to the low current flowing.???
I also would like to Know..whether the wooden floors, plastic materials...these all are the pure Insulators or Not... if they conduct upto what extent they will conduct????

Hope you will help me out sir
Thanks&Regards
Rallabandi.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
We do not see the things you see in your mind. What are you referring to here?

There is no such thing as a pure insulator, everything will conduct after a certain point. What we call insulators typically won't conduct under normal use.

Rallabandi

Joined Aug 19, 2014
Insulators will work only above room temperature...u just tell me what is the working process and why don't we get shock....
Please let me Know that sir.
Thanks&Regards.:confused::(

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Insulators will work only above room temperature[...]
This simply isn't true. There are insulators at lower temperatures.

just tell me what is the working process and why don't we get shock....
Please let me Know that sir.
Thanks&Regards.:confused::(
It has to do with the way the valence electrons are in the atoms & molecules that make up a lattice and the energy (not always heat) required to allow them to leave a local atom/molecule.

See here for a decent introduction.