How do I wire this DC power transformer?

newyawkah

Joined Feb 1, 2016
Hi

I bought this DC power adapter for 1 euro from a parts store that had a whole bucket of them. The guy says its from a DVD player. The output pins on the right give you +/-5v and +/-12V. However, i'm not certain how to wire the inputs on the left. I'm afraid of doing it wrong and blowing it away. The backside picture is what you see if you rotate it 180 degrees on its horizontal axis.

I should add that there is a slight difference between this photo i found on the net and the one i-m holding. Mine doesn't have that red diode labelled WD16 in the bottom center (which is strange considering the other side has solder on it)

Thanks!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
This looks like a fairly standard AC to DC power supply. The white connector with 4 pins on the left look like the power inputs, at least I think I can see it read "AC." The inner two lugs that wire to L1 appear to be the connections, but don't connect to the AC line until you are 100% certain (read the following posts!) and make the connection thru something that limits current, like an extension box with a built in breaker.

And stand back when you first turn it on. It may have problems and was sold off as scrap.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
This looks like a fairly standard AC to DC power supply. The white connector with 4 pins on the left look like the power inputs, at least I think I can see it read "AC." The inner two lugs that wire to L1 appear to be the connections, but don't connect to the AC line until you are 100% certain (read the following posts!) and make the connection thru something that limits current, like an extension box with a built in breaker.

And stand back when you first turn it on. It may have problems and was sold off as scrap.
The black little "box" bottom left on the first image is the fuse holder. Open it and check if there is a fuse in and if it is not blown. The inner two pins are the inputs for the AC. Not the outer two, as you can see from the second image, they are joined. Then apply power as EarnieM suggests. If anything is wrong with the power supply, the fuse will blow. If it is not blowing, test your output(s) for dc.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015

It looks to me like the bottom-right is the hot side and top-right is neutral 9as the picture shows). The two on the left may be ground or unused. Unless somebody has another opinion I might suggest leaving the two on the left disconnected until you are sure where they go. Do you have a meter so you can give them a continuity to somewhere.
The output looks like +5 V and +/- 12 V, or something. Looking at the bottom view, from the top down, it looks llike
GND
GND
+5
+5
GND
? V (maybe -)
? V (maybe +)

Last edited:

NoelSof

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Looks exactly like what I bought, long ago. Those 4 white connectors are AC input soldered in series, one is for the power input and the other is for the On-off master switch (a mechanical switch, usually located on the back panel of the DVD player).
Are you servicing a DVD power supply? You can just unplug the old one and plug the new one in there.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Looks exactly like what I bought, long ago. Those 4 white connectors are AC input soldered in series, one is for the power input and the other is for the On-off master switch (a mechanical switch, usually located on the back panel of the DVD player).
Are you servicing a DVD power supply? You can just unplug the old one and plug the new one in there.
More specifics on the AC connector, please.