How do I track the angle of a moving object?

bonbonbaron

Joined Mar 26, 2021
Hi all. Suppose I wanted to accurately track the angle of a moving object from a point in space. The angle is just 2D, as if you were looking at a radar monitor. Is there a way to track that one object's angle without confusing it with any other objects? And is there a way to do so with sub-degree accuracy? What's the best technology to use here? Sounds like GPS isn't the way to go when real-time accuracy is a concern.

Thanks!
Michael

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
How are you getting the objects position? Or is that the question here?

Because once you have the X,Y coordinates at any two times, it’s simple math.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are many technologies possible. Could you be more specific about what you have in mind?
BTW - GPS is useless for tracking anything that is not at the observer's position.
If the object you are tracking is sending the GPS information to you, then it might be possible.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Much more information is needed.

We don’t even know how you detect the object, how can we answer your question without knowing that? Or were you hoping we would tell you that?

What is the object?
Distance away?
Line of sight?
Can you put electronics on the object?

Tell us, in detail what you are trying to do. Not “determine the angle of an object”. More like” I am trying to track the flight of the tennis ball at Wimbledon using a video camera placed at the line judge’s position.”

Bob

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Hi all. Suppose I wanted to accurately track the angle of a moving object from a point in space. The angle is just 2D, as if you were looking at a radar monitor. Is there a way to track that one object's angle without confusing it with any other objects? And is there a way to do so with sub-degree accuracy? What's the best technology to use here? Sounds like GPS isn't the way to go when real-time accuracy is a concern.

Thanks!
Michael
If you know the object's velocity (i.e. it reports that to you) then in principle you could compute trajectory from two measurements of its distance and direction, but of course the "angle" (relative to whatever) is likely a continuously varying quantity so requires continual recalculation.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi M,
One way is to fit a transponder to the remote object, that's if the remote object is part of the project.

What is the minimum and maximum range of the remote object, also is the Base station moving or stationary. ... etc.

E

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
To boil it down,
many answers are possible....
Basically you can put something on the object or bounce something off the object

It all depends upon the things the others have mentioned,
give us more details and we can try to help

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
With 2D you can do it with simple vectors. 3D gets a little more mathmatically challenging but has been solved almost 200 years ago.