How do I test schottky diodes ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I bought a few 1N5711 schottky diodes off ebay, what can I try, with a scope, AWG, LCR meter, to see if they really are schottky diodes (which I need to learn up on anyways)

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I built a simple version once with a little trans, is it that easy to tell it from that ? I'll give it try, I think I still have that OT ready to go once I find it.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
My meter has a "diode test" mode. The meter puts out about 1mA with a max voltage of 2V. A silicon diode reads 0.65 about and Schottkys read 0.35 to 0.45. (forward voltage drop) That is a good first test.

Next test is to see if it is leaking. The data sheet; "50V less than 0.2uA". Use a current limited power source in the 12 to 50V range and measure to see if almost no current is flowing. (could use a 9V battery)

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
I really like the switching speed on the 1N5711 because it can improve the symetry of a square wave off time to closer match the on time. The before and after on the scope is well worth it in performance.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Here are some LTspice sims for reverse recovery measurement. Run the sim and look at the diode current wavefrom where V1 switches from +24V to -24V

ReverseRecovery.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In the curve tracer video in post #4 the narrator made one error when he said the slope of the line is equal to the resistance.

Since current is on the Y-axis and voltage is on the X-axis, the slope of the line is ΔI / ΔV which would be equal to 1/R, not R.

A steep line will be the result when R is small.